My son is the best man and the bride has asked if he is giving her a separate gift.?

Besides the wedding gift, tux rental, and missing time from work ... I am suprised that she thinks that she and the groom should get another gift separate from the wedding present. Is this normal?

Favorite Answer

From what I understand, it's customary for the groom to give all his groomsmen gifts, but this is the first I've heard of a best man having to give separate gifts. I think it's a little excessive expecting him to do that. Tell him to get her a nice card and be done with it.

It is completely rude that the bride even asked if he is giving a gift. Just because you are invited or are part of the wedding party does NOT mean you have to give a gift.

Is he sure he wants to stand up for this gal in her wedding. If he does not believe in the marriage perhaps he should tell the bride and groom he can't be in it. This bride sounds like she already has the greedy give me's.

Good luck!

In addition to the wedding gift? Heck no it's not normal!

It was rude of her to ask in the first place. And secondly, tradition states that the couple GIVES gifts to their attendants, not receives them. The gift is from the bride and groom to say "Thank You" for being their attendant. Why should he (or any of the other attendants) pay extra money just to satisfy their greed? They got enough from showers and the wedding that they should be happy with.

I thought the bride and groom were supposed to buy gifts for the bridal party. Actually, I don't think that, I KNOW that...Tell your son not to buy that greedy girl a darn thing!! If she was paying attention to anything but herself while preparing for her wedding, I'm sure she would have read that somewhere!!

• oleyar

Your MOH would perhaps have been conscious which you probably did not understand you're meant to get the marriage social gathering a latest as a thank you and asked as a tactful reminder yet you're meant to and it is the norm in the united kingdom. you do not would desire to get lots, rings working example on your bridesmaids, say a hip flask for the final guy and then some thing on your ushers. in case you like any help with different products then examine the information superhighway website. traditionally it often is the groom who might purchase them.

Huh? My daughter and her groom gave gifts of pocket watches to the groomsmen and the fathers. They gave lovely engraved mirrors in velvet bags and the wedding jewelry to the bridesmaids. The grooms mother and myself were given beautiful engraved jewelry boxes.

This is a very selfish and greedy young woman, its a shame she is getting married at all.

Absolutely not, they are the ones who are supposed to give the best man and all the other in the wedding party a present.

No, it's rude. Who asks for presents anytime after age 6? His participation in the wedding should be more than enough to expect from someone OR maybe he could buy her a book on etiquette.

• Siddy

Your son should feel honored to be the groom's best man. So he expresses his gratitude by volunteering to perform as best man. He is under no obligation to give her a separate gift!

What does she think she is? Ah, ok- she's become a bridezilla.

Was she joking??? I can't believe someone would ask that. It's very rude! As the best man, I am guessing he is very close to the groom. Are he and the bride close friends/relatives as well?