My residential AC unit is extremely close to a fence. I am concerned about airflow?

Anyone knows how many inches I need between my unit and a fence?

Favorite Answer

That depends. Typically your compressor is an upflow model (taking air in from the sides and bottom and blowing it out the top). As long as the unit isn't flat up against the fence, it is drawing in air from that side as well. If you have some weirder, older model that only draws air in from that side (and I doubt that). You could simply spin the unit to draw air from another side (leaving it the same proximity to the fence). If the unit discharges air out the side, and that is the side toward the fence, again, you need only spin it until the discharge points elsewhere.

IF THE AIR FLOW IS OUT THE TOP AND DRAWS IN ON THE SIDES. THEN YOU WILL NEED 18 INCHES ON ALL SIDES. FOR AIR FLOW. IF IT DRAWS IN THE BACK AND OUT THE FRONT THEN YOU NEED 24 INCHES ON THE BACK AND 24 INCHES 0N THE FRONT. THE SIDES DO NOT MATTER. ALSO YOU NEED 3 TO 4 FEET ABOVE THE UNIT. IF THE UNIT NEEDS MOVE CALL A A/C CONTRACTOR TO MOVE IT. YOU MAY BEND THE COPPER TUBING AND THE UNIT WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY.

• Huero

If there are fins on three sides, 10" clearance is normally required on any side that has fins.

when in doubt...use the 24 inch rule