Kimberly asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Hi All;).. Can self-esteem and selfishness ever become/seem the same thing?;)?

Self-esteem meaning a good, though not exaggerated, opinion about yourself, self-respect, the desire to keep dignity, and selfishness meaning to put your own needs above all else, neglecting others, not caring about others' needs even if helping them wouldn't affect you....

Can they become (or be considered) the same.. at some point???

>>>>

Thanks, for answering in advance!;D

Have a beautiful day!;)

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, they can be seen as the same.. The actions arising from both might seem very similar..

Everybody is selfish, that is what drives us..

Thus selfishness drives all other aspects of life..

Thus, there's selfishness in everything we do, including having high self-esteem..

:-)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Interesting question. Case Western Reserve University did work just in this are. The usual tired, old social science explanation for bullies was that the bullied because the had low self-esteem and were trying to make themselves feel superior by bullying. Case Western turned the question on it's head. The gist; they found that many, if not most, bullies, bully out of a sense of entitlement, a inflated self- esteem, as it where. They seem to think, as assessed by multi-trait testing,that the world is their oyster, so to speak, and the rest of us better head. This concept is more in line with what is naturally known ( ethology ), than that social science baffle-gab.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They could, in a seance of one thing helps some one else but hurts another. Giving self-respect to people by helping some one from some one that is hurting that person is considered one way of self-respect for others, but the fact is by helping that one person you hurt the other person as well. Many would say that's not true, but just because the one person was hurting the other person and you help, it means your hurting the person hurting other because you are stopping him/ her from hurting other people. so you have self-respect for the person getting hurt but your being selfish about the person hurt other people. So in a way yes they can be the same thing

• 1 decade ago

I guess it's according to the person. I have a male family member that has a very high self-esteem of himself, he is very, very cocky, if I may. This makes him feel that he is Gods gift to women. It's like he thinks he is doing them a favor by being their boyfriend. Now in defense of some others, you can be sure of yourself but still have your morals with what is right and wrong. So the old saying goes, "Don't judge a book by it's cover".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No they can never become the same thing, for if they do it is called " self absorbed" self esteem means you have the confidence in yourself to be able to be there for others in a caring and supportive way. And not expect anything in return. But to also know your own boundries.

• 1 decade ago

No. Not ever. Self-esteem is confidence. Confident people exude this. We gravitate towards them. Selfish people are rude, obnoxious and self-centered. Who'd want to go near that? If ever these two became one in the same person, I'd have their DNA check for human cloning.

• 1 decade ago

It could look to some people that some one who has high self esteem is also selfish because they know they can do something without their help,but it doesn't mean they're selfish

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well, through selflessness one can improve self esteem through selfishness one can destroy self esteem. So yes they do cross at those points. Just my opinion:)

• 1 decade ago

they definitely are not the same thing. i know many people with no self esteem and are very selfish (me). I also know many peopel who are very confident and selfless. I think the correlation is ZERO/.

• 1 decade ago

Narcissism is not the same thing as self-respect.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.