What does it mean to double shift and how do you do it?

Update:

I meant as in racing just to let everyone know and is it double cluthcing (i'm not sure so I'll go with what you all say)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

That is referring to Big Rigs. In order to make the truck move you have to double shift.

Clutch move gear shift out and clutch again to move gear shift to next gear.

• 1 decade ago

Its not double shift, its double clutch. As you change gears you go from first ot second pressing the clutch from first to neutral, release clutch in then press clutch and go to 2th release clutch again. Repeat this process through all gears. basically you press and release the clutch in neutral as if it were a gear between gears. hope this helps. This method of shifting is usually used on big rigs or on vehicles with a worn trans.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To double shift you put transmission in gear, release clutch and reach RPM and then engage road ranger. this is a two speed rear end. this gives you two speeds in each gear. On older model cars and trucks, the transmission had no synchronized gears, so you had to double clutch to synchronize the gears. This took a lot of skill and timing to get the gears to mesh.

• 1 decade ago

you push the clutch in and put the shifter into neutral then let out the clutch ,Quickly push the clutch in and shift into the next gear. On some big rigs it is mandatory to double clutch to shift

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Paul
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Double clutch?

Say you're going from 1st to 2nd, instead of...

pushing the clutch in, going from first to 2nd, and letting off the clutch... you push in the clutch, go to neutral, let off the clutch, then push back on the clutch, go to 2nd gear, then let back off. Basically, you go to neutral and let off the clutch between each shift.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

do you mean speed shifting? this is where in a sports car, i floor it, than let off the accelerator, and shift without depresing the clutch, it works most of the time

• 1 decade ago

you mean double clutch?

i think you have to do it in semi trucks the have no synchronizers in the trans

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.