Rommie
Lv 7
Rommie asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Looking for free anti-virus security downloads. Any suggestion?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I've used AVG by GriSoft for about 8 or 9 years without a problem. They have regular updates, it's easy to use, and they have a free version. If you prefer, you can upgrade to a paid version and get more features but I never have.

Source(s): www.grisoft.com
  • 1 decade ago

There are three main choices for free AV programs. none of them are perfect so look the reviews over carefully.

AVG: Good, sorta unstable no heirusics(sp) scanner, but has an email scanner

AntiVir: One of the biggest databases of viruses in the industry, but slow scans, no email scanning and false positives.

Avast!: Great selection of features, but a memory hog and long scans. Poor protection.

unfortunately the truly good scanners are all free. you can also get a backup scanner, such as the free edition of BitDefender, or ClamWin. Neither have active scanner (clamWin if you get a secondary program) so use them as a backup if something is screwy with the other.

Don't forget to add a firewall(Kerio or Zonealarm) and a Anti-spyware scanner (Defender/Adaware/Ewido)

Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

AVG is the way to go.. I use the Pro (paid) version at work, and the free version at home for years... www.grisoft.com

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

AVG anti virus is free ,

http://www.download .com

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

www.grisoft.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.