what does it take to get into a frat?

I'm 26, and will transfer to a university, and want to know what it takes to join a frat.

Favorite Answer

It depends on the popularity of the fraternity and the particular campus. For mine, it was pretty much show up more than once during rush week and let the guys get a good sense of you.

The guys had it easier at my campus: it was MUCH easier to join a frat instead of sorority unless it was one of the few frats with the new super-expensive house. But thats the wrong reason to rush.

Sorority recruitment was more like corporate recruitment, I felt so bad for those girls and it was a very politicized process. Not for the guys though. Also there were more frats on my campus and they were much smaller than the sororities (~40 ppl vs. ~120 for a sorority), so I guess we had it good in comparison. Having a peer group around this size with low turnover over 4 years was awesome. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

I agree with Alucard, go national with the frat. Use your common sense when picking one too. Ask around. Decide what you want out of the Frat and what it can do for you.

Good luck.

Depends on the fraternity. In my fraternity there was no hazing and no bullshit going on. I had a blast as a pledge. What I was required "to do" was to learn the history of the fraternity and organize a fund raiser, hardly anything that'll kill you. There is a lot of misinformation about pledging out there. Most fraternities are grabbed by the balls from nationals and the University to even dare to real hazing. Stay away from the local fraternities, go national.

Depends on the frat.

frats are for idiots

Some self degradation and some cash for friend upkeep.

My son was in one, and I would think twice about it. I couldn't take anyone bossing me around and making me do dumb things for that.

become a homosexual