I am looking to buy a mini van and I found one with 203k miles?

Is this to many miles on this type of vehicle for me to consider buying it ?

Favorite Answer

Have the van checked out by a qualified mechanic prior to purchase. Some vehicles are in good shape with 200k+ miles, some are junk with 60k or less. It depends on how the vehicle was driven and maintained.

I have a mini van with 250k+ on it, and I would trust it for a cross country trip.

Source(s): 27 years in the auto business

Depends....will you be driving long distances, or strictly around town trips? I personally would be leery of the high mileage and the potential maintenance costs as a result of the high mileage. 203K miles is a lot of wear and tear. You didn't mention what year the vehicle was either. That should play a factor in the decision. If it's a newer vehicle (say within the last five years) and has that many miles on it. . .well, it's been ridden pretty hard and again, you may be in for some pretty hefty maintenance fees.

Mini van? They have not been made for nicely over 20 years, so something decrease than a hundred,000 miles could be an advantage. undergo in recommendations that those previous autos are slow, unreliable, cramped, uneconomical, very unsafe in a crash, poorly geared up & very services to rust - think of heavily earlier parting with any money. Older autos are actually not as much as in demand standards of overall performance, and engines & gearboxes have been generally knackered at 50,000 miles.

Unless this van has been maintained meticiously, you are going to start having repair issues shortly. Unless they are almost giving it to you, I would advise you to keep looking for a low millage well maintained vehicle. Always ask about their maintaince records. If you go with this van, I would have it inspected by a mechanic prior to buying it, so you will know about anything that needs repair, brakes, trans, suspension, motor, etc. On this high milage van, it would be money well spent, and you can use your findings as leverage on the price.

You are taking a big gamble! Unless you completely know it's maintenance record,repairs,carfax etc. you might pay big bucks to fix it or constantly fix it. Get educated on this vehicle. Go to consumers reports and other auto sites to research the longevity and repair history of that year, model van. Price wise, this van could be a good deal or a van to be dealt with. Good luck!

my opinion and my opinion only...but yes..with that many miles I wouldn't buy it. Even if it's cheap...and I use that word loosely...you will probably end up sinking more money in to it soon.

If you can find one with less than 120 k for a reaonable price ...and the seller can show that it has been taken care of then you may consider it. I think the main thing to consider is....how much can you afford...before and after the buy.

The mileage is very high but if the body is very good and the price right, a recon engine will make it a great vehicle, parts are easy to get

It is a lot of miles for any vehicle. YOu need to find out how many owners it has had, how has it been maintained, any body repair.

I wouldn't consider buying it.

i'd say no, depending on the price and make/model. If it's a Chevy Astro or GMC Safari i'd say it's got a little life left in it. I've seen these vans w/ over 250,000 miles on them quite often.

engine is gonna die soon and too many mile too many repairs...its like a 110 year old person... u can offer them 50$