Bonyta P asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

What type of degree, credential, or certificatedo you need to be a veterinary technician??

This is a school assignment i have to do......well part of it

veterinary technician

Favorite Answer

In California anybody (with the proper training) can be a vet tech or a vet assistant.

But to be called a registered vet tech you have to do a 2 year program which includes chemistry, general biology, small and large animal nursing, dentistry, radiology, anesthesiology, and a few other classes. Once you earn at least a "C" or better in all your classes, you then graduate and get an Associates of Science degree in Veterinary Technology. Then to get your license you need to take a state board exam. If you pass that you get your license and get to be called an RVT or registered vet tech and then you get a fatty pay raise.

I would say on the average a non licensed vet tech depending on your experience gets paid $9.00/hour to $12.00/hour and an RVT gets paid $15.00/hour to $20.00/hour. But just remember, each state has their own regulations, if you need additional info the AVMA (American Vet Med Association) has some info. Their website is www.avma.com I hope this helps and good luck with your report!

I took clases as well as studied under my Vet at the Shelter I worked at..I had to pass my tests Which was a bit easy for me because I was already doing alot of the stuff we learned...Drawing Blood,Shots,assisting in surgery.It varies from State to state because I met a lady from California who was helping after Katrina..She was a Tech and didnt have to be certified in that state.I just am certified as a Vet Tech and have another Certification in euthinasia,Thata all My job requires.

Source(s): Vet Tech

You do not need a degree, but you can go through ROP or an on line course to get certified as a vet asst. I personally did both. A Vet Tech licensed, needs 4 years of schooling and you have take a state board test to get your license.

Source(s): I am a Vet Tech/unlicensed, but have been in the field for 5 years. Hope this helped..

It varies by state as what certification is required. Check the state you live in to be sure.

You can actually go to an online site to find this out. Google your question. No degree, your certification.

• i think apha has a good lead on what it takes to be vet tech

I do not know

i think you have to have your assocaites..but not quite sure...

Source(s): my mother is a veterinary techinicain