Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

Is their anything to stop my red roses from mixing with the yellow roses?

They are about three (3) feet apart and the yellow roses now have red spots. Help!!!

Favorite Answer

I would take the red spot ones out and move them in a another part of the yard. Then move your yellows farther away from both.

Sounds pretty to me. I would leave them that way and since I don't think roses mix, it doesn't seem that moving them would help. Maybe they were supposed to be yellow with red on them?

Bus the yellow roses to another community.

Roses can't change color unless they are grafted and you cut them back too far or they cross pollinate- even then the original plants do not change color, only their offspring are unpredictable. Sounds like you could have a pest known as thrips- they sometimes cause deformed flowers, but usually cause brown spots on petals of open flowers.

I have never heard that happening before, I have alot of roses all different colors and none of them are more than a foot or two apart .

You might need to replant one of the plants farther away.

when they start to pollinate, mix them yourself... take a paint brush and put the pollen from one bloom on the red to the flowers on the red, and use a different brush to put the yellow pollen on the the yellow... otherwise, move them farther apart

How about try moving them to different part of the flower bed. It couldn't hurt to try. If it doesn't help cosult a lanscape specialists

at any gardening center in your town or city.

Whats wrong with that? Can't stand to see the colors mixing? Sounds metaphorical if you ask me. Let 'em love lady.

Unless you are raising roses from seed, they haven't mixed.

• happy

paint them....like in Alice in Wonderland ("we're painting the roses red...")