Can you explain the Eucharist/ Communion? What does it mean to eat Jesus' flesh and drink his blood?

I'm having a very hard time coming to terms with this ritual.

I'm not trying to be funny, by the way. I'm a Christian.

Favorite Answer

as a catholic the bread is converted to the body of Jesus destroying sins that we did and the wine is his blood meanig that we get closer to JESUS

If it makes you feel better, none of the Christian religions is actually cutting a guy open on the alter (we leave that for 50's horror movies). Depending on what part of Christianity you're from, this can mean something different.

the Catholics (which I am) belive that when the priest says his prayers over the host and wine, the Holy Spirity descends and changes the substance of the wafer and wine. Physically, it's still a wafer and wine, but spiritually, it's the body and blood of Jesus.

Protestants (and this is just what I've heard, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) believe that the host and wine are just symbols of the body and blood, and not the actual thing.

I have no idea how the other branches of Christianity feel.

It's a good thing you're goal isn't to be funny. Because you're failing miserably at that.

I have a tough time figuring out what denomination of Christianity you are if you've never partaken of Communion. Even the Protestants have Communion, but they call it the Lord's Supper.

You may do well to do some actual 'studying up' on what you say you believe in, rather than posting inane questions in this forum.

At the last Supper Jesus held up bread and said "this is my body "(the Eucharist) and then held up a cup of wine and said "this is my blood". He then ask the disciple to eat the bread and drink the wine. The whole ritual during mass is a sort of reenactment of the last supper.

• Midge

In this world when we eat something it becomes a part of us but with Holy Communion we become a part of him. This is why it is so important not to eat of his flesh and drink of his blood with sin on your soul. This is also why Jesus said "If your right hand causes you to sin, it is better to cut it off then to enter ...." He himself will cut off a sinner and they will have no part in the Body of Christ which is the only body that has risen from the grave. He is with us in our soul---The Garden Enclosed---

It's a symbolic gesture of accepting Christ and acknowledging his crucifixion.

• Davie

A bit of vampirism.

it means you are taking the strength and faith of jesus into yourself