can the 64 bit capability of amd processors be utilized entirely?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What do you mean? It all depends of the operating system, it should be written for the 64bit processors, and the software that you run should be also written for 64bit.

A regular CPU "processes" 32bit binary numbers. An example of this is the following:

Now a 32bit CPU in one clock time can add/subtract, or do any operation on two of these numbers.

A 64bit CPU can add/subtract...so on...on two 64bit numbers, which is just double the size of the example above.

Now, since the operating system (examples: Windows XP, Linux, Mac OSX so on) is the software which "puts" the CPU to work, it has to be able to send 64bit size numbers to the CPU. But even if it can do that, the software that it runs, (such as Word, Internet Explorer, Firefox) has to be written(programmed) in a way that it can be processed in 64bits chunks....

Hope this is what you wanted, and I didn't overkill it :)

• 1 decade ago

As the previous poster said, you need a 64 bit operating system to begin with. Of course it will utilize 64 bit capabilities, if there is 64 bit application software for it.

If the question you're asking is about performance, then you may notice some difference. I have tried Ubuntu linux 64 and 32 bit, and the difference for my hardware is very slight (have an AMD 64 bit Opteron processor).

The big issue with 64 bit (Linux and Windows) as of now, is the lack of driver support. You'll have to jump through hoops to get some of your hardware to work, depending on how old it is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.