What is the relationship between GMT and latitude and time?

Please can you answer this homework I am really tired have been working on homewrork for houirs and still have a lot to do and im using answer to help me so please help (for give my spelling i can barely concentarte im falling asleep)

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Very easy to grasp:

First, we must be clear about the terms, Latitude, Longitude & the TIME Calculation.

Look at the World map. You can see the equator & other horizontal lines parallel to the equator. They are called LATTITUDES. Each Degree of latitude is approx. 69 miles. The Latitude is divided into 0 Degree to 90 Degree North & 0 degree to 90 degree South.90 degree North = North Pole. 90 Degree South is South Pole.

Longitude: The VERTICAL Lines are called Meridians or LONGITUDES. They converge at the North & South Poles.At GREENWICh ( England) the Longitude of the place is taken as 0 degree ( since 1884) for calculation of time purposes.The Longitude is divided into 180 Degrees West & 180 degrees East starting from 0 degree at Greenwich. Both these 180 degrees meet at the International Date Line. East & West Do Meet there!

Now the Time is calculated on the basis of distance fom the Prime Meridian (0 Degrees) at Greenwich. Suppose, it is 12 midnight in Greenwich. What is the time at New York? 5 Hours less. So, the local time at New York is 7 p.m.

New York:

Coordinates of New York:

Latitude: 40° 44' North

Longitude: 73° 55' West

There are some broad Time Zones like GMT, Eastern Time Zone, Central Time Zone & Pacific Time Zone & the time within the zone is considered the same.

Source: (for details)

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:tyjK9WQWmcsJ:g...

Source(s): Web Search & Geigraphical Knowledge
  • GMT is The latitude line (vertical) where the hour of the day starts... Just like the USA has time zones East coast is the closest to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) is In Iceland as to the hour difference... Check below for more helpful answer...

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=...

www.timeanddate.com/library/ abbreviations/timezones/eu/ gmt.html

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.