How do I get vibrato when I sing?

I can only sing in a straight tone and I would like to know how to sing in vibrato.

Favorite Answer

So often I have singers who come into my studio with a straight tone (no vibrato). Some of these singers are not aware of vibrato or how it is developed in the voice. Many come into my studio with the express desire to develop vibrato in their sound realizing that their voice is lacking in that particular area. In over 25 years of teaching, I have never had a singer in my studio that could not develop healthy vibrato.

Some straight tone singers have sung in choirs where the director has demanded straight tone. This is potentially a damaging circumstance. Straight tone singing is extremely unhealthy for the voice. Vocal nodules can result from such vocal production because of too much pressure held at the glottis to prevent vibrato from occurring in the tone. Choral blend is developed through vowel and acoustical alignment, not squeezing the voice into straight tone sound. The proper vowel and acoustical alignment can create a beautiful vocal blend. I experienced this personally in Berlin when 11 of my singers sang "Let Your Garden Grow" from Candide as a finale along with a men's choir. The resulting vocal sound of these 11 singers who were trained on the "ng" ring was amazing to say the least. Because these singers were trained with vowel and resonance alignment, the resulting sound was one of beautiful blend of tone along with fullness of vocal sound and blend. Several conductors from German opera houses came to me after the concert to ask about the training of these singers.

Most straight tone singers cannot use the idea of vocal cord closure during the first part of their training because "too much pressure" has been held at the vocal cords for too long a time period. I have found that vibrato comes into the voice when the singer achieves proper balance in the "support muscles" and when the singer keeps the feeling of the "u" vowel in the pharynx. The Italian "u" is a crucial part of a singer's training in order for vibrato to occur. The "u" vowel allows a healthy adduction of the vocal cords without too much pressure at the glottis. It is understandable that this vowel is crucial in the Italian School. I find that the "u" vowel must be produced without the "bunching" of the back of the tongue and with a "high and wide soft palate" in order to be efficient acoustically. The result is beauty and resonance simultaneously.

Source(s): Laguardia HIgh school of performing arts NYC

((I'm in 8th Grade an I got my vibrato in 7th. The trick is to fist hold a sustained note and to up about a half step up OR down very quickly. Make sure you raise your soft pallet and move the air in the front of your mouth.))

it's really hard to get it if you don't know how [i'm still working on mine] but a good way to get started is to mimic opera singers and do an extreme vibrato. keep your throat and mouth very open and relaxed, like in a yawn, and try a loud vibrato. listen to singers who are good at vibrato and mimic them. if you know a music teacher, ask them for more tips. it'll come if you work on it!

Source(s): good luck!

I know this sounds wierd but at first try jumping up and down then crack it a little while standing still...it works my coach showed me this trick.