How much of an army did Iraq have before America went there?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Roger
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i think the media was saying that iraq had the 3rd largest military in the world.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Someone has a short memory! Iraq first encountered the US in modern times when they tried to take over Kuwaite. At that time, they had the most powerful army in the middle east, and about the third most powerful army in the world.

Of course, all that changed within a matter of days, once we opened up on them. Today, the name of the game is getting them strong enough to stand without our AID. And the WMD's that WERE there were moved into Syria or Palestine while all the Liberals provided cover for them, demanding that we play footsie with 'inspectors' who only went where the Iraqis allowed them. Of COURSE they never found anything!

• 1 decade ago

I think your question is not about numbers but about quality of arm force they had. I think they had an army and a very large one at that too but I also think the media over-exaggerated on the numbers. These people were not well trained or equipped like a first world army and as such were not ready to fight a first world war. In the end, they did not have much of an army at that.

• 1 decade ago

The nation of iraq has a small army compared to that of the United States. Further more the nation of iraq does not have any weapons of mass destruction, so why are the Americans still there?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yeah it depends on what war you are asking about, regardless. The US military cut through them so fast that friendly fire was a major issue in the first gulf war (marines popping up farther ahead than they were said to be because of light resistance, a-10's mixed them up for Iraqi's) There hardware was Russian, and OK, but in attempts to ambush and hide them from aerial attacks they screwed themseves over burying thier stuff in the sand. Unfortunately for them the US used satellites and knew where they were and bombed them back to their elemental components...They were good for the region, but when it comes down to it, the US doesn't really have much in the way of military rivals...asymmetrical wars are hell...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Enough of an Army to keep the terriorist out of there.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

About 1.2 million

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.