Seabass asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Is this guppy pregnant? (PIC)?

Favorite Answer

Looks like it. You can tell by looking at the gravid spot on the back part of its abdomen, near its anal fins. It is nearly solid black - those are the babies.

Edit: It may be anywhere from a day to a few weeks before it gives birth. It's not always the same, and not knowing the size the Guppy originally was, I can't really base it on anything.

I'm going to be in the small crowd on this one. The quality is poor, but it more looks like she needs to release waste. Very rarely was a solid black patch a sign of a pregnant female when I was breeding guppies. Swelling and seeing little eyes are better indicators. Once you can easily tell there are eyes, it's usually under a week til she gives birth.

Honestly, fish sites should stop mentioning the gravid spot, it's confusing for people without previous experience.

without a doubt she is pregnant. The black spot on her backside is the babies. I would guess she has about 3-5 weeks before she gives birth. I had about 20 guppies so thats were my knowledge is from. I am an amatuer fish keeper so i may be a little off on the timing thats why i gave it such a big window.

Hails to the fishies,

Silence

YES she is just not far along...like many others said...that black spot is the babies. I recommend putting her into a breeder/birthing box in a couple weeks, the one with the V slot for the babies to swim to the bottom. My guppies gave birth many times and I learned that if you don't get that box she will eat the babies as they pop out!!

• iceni

She is pregnant, but she is nowhere near dropping fry. Increased (even 10% a day) water changes will encourage the faster development of fry. You can also try feeding earthworm flakes three times a week.

A

No, her abdomen is not nearly large enough to have fry in there. If she becomes pregnant, as she swells up (she will get VERY large) you will be able to see tiny eyes in the dark spot (gravid spot) just before she gives birth. Their gestation period is about 30 days.

Source(s): 26 years of keeping and spawning many different species of tropical fish. 23 tanks up and running at present. I have worked in both the retail and wholesale tropical fish business.

All females have a gravid spot so that doesn't mean anything. If she is pregnant then its too soon to tell just by looking at her but if she has been near a male then she probably is.

looks like she could be...but I'm sorry I'm not sure how long fish are pregnant for..her abdomen will swell..and i do know they shoot them across the tank....at least that's what i saw with my friends guppies lol

it doesn't look like it. her whole abdomen will swell to about 3 times its size. if she is.. a couple more weeks. look at another female about her size to compare.

Source(s): work at pet store

yes