GS asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

Is it possible that a squirrel could dig up your lawn?

There are multiple divot-like holes in our grass. They are not deep like those that a gopher would dig. I believe I saw a squirrel digging, but others have told me that it's not likely. BTW, we also have rabbits back there and some have suggested racoons, which I have yet to see.

Favorite Answer

Squirrels are always digging, hiding their food for the winter, just like Chip and Dale. =)

Tell the "others" it is VERY likely!!!!! Where do you think some of these trees come from???? I have seen Squirrels dig a shallow hole and try to shove bread in it, that I put out for the birds. They will also dig-up bulbs too.

• Cosmos

Squirrels dig holes in the ground to srore food, and then forget where the holes are. They are annoying!! Raccoons also dig holes to find bugs in the grass. You won't see raccoons much during day times, because they are nocturnal.

Yes. Right now with the fall starting here, they begin to store their food. My mom's garden is a mess. And her patio is a mess as well from them eating on top of her fence. All summer long she does not have this problem. It only begins with fall starting. And if you have outside patio vase plants they will dig into those too.

Take care.

P.S. I mom put in the ground some moth balls. That seems to work.

• Squirrels will dig to store for and then again to retrieve it but it has always been a problem with them digging in potted soil around my house.

Armodillas come out round 2 am they dig the worst.

It's absolutely likely that those holes are from the squirrels. If you spend even 10 minutes watching them in your yard you'll see for yourself. It's fall - they're attempting to store nuts for winter.

• T C

sure, did you ever see a squirrel that couldn't run up a tree? They have very sharp little clause. They are probably digging up last years nuts and seeds that they hid.

Raccoons make divot looking holes in yards. More then likely the cause is raccoons.

They're probably mole holes. To get rid of these pests or any other wide animals, first you need to get rid of their food source, like the grubs that live under your grass. Check out this man's plant web site for further info:

http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=415774

Good luck!