Who's had a Colonoscopy?

I've been diagnosed with IBS my GI want to rule out any other diseas so she is sending me in for a colonoscopy?

Does this hurt? I'm scared because I suffer from enough pain as it is from my IBS, now I actually have to get the runs to clean my system out and then get full of air while they to the procedure. How long do the pains last after the test?

Favorite Answer

I have to have a colonoscopy once a year, they put you out and when you come too, all is over and done, then they feed you cookies and juice and you go home. Nothing to it.

The worst is the day before when you have to prep yourself and sit on the bathroom every few minutes until your butt is on fire.

Good Luck, trust me it's better then a barium enema where you're awake and when they blow the air into your intestine it hurts like hell.

I take a colonoscopy any day over that.

Good Luck and don't worry.

I have IBS too and I too had to go through all the tests to rule out everything else especially crones disease. I can tell you that the colonoscopy itself is nothing. Your asleep and then you wake up. The the prep for the test is a another story. I myself did not take well to the stuff you have to drink but that depends on the individual. I know other people that have no problem with the prep.

I can also give you hope. My IBS was very bad for a couple of years. Food made me so sick I didn't eat so I could actually leave the house. I went from a size 7 to size 0 being to big. I lost a total of 45 pounds. My stomach used to hurt everyday now I go weeks with no pain or discomfort and I gained back my weight. Good Luck!!!

• Arnie

A little info I think should be considered about this drug Versed ( Midazolam ) that is used for Sedation for many medical procedures..Sedation and General Anesthesia are not the same and quite a few people being given Sedation

think they are being given General Anesthesia!

There is simply no good or valid reason to ever purposely induce amnesia during a medical procedure. It is only a recent development in medical thinking that amnesia is somehow a "benefit" to the patient. On occasion some

some patients will remember a bad experience. Forgetting does not mean it did not happen!!

I feel that if people were aware of the effects of this drug they would Opt For Another Drug!

Erasing someones memory of what was done to them is wrong!!

In fact, many people who use Versed for " IV Sedation,Conscious Sedation" Twilight Sedation, during a procedure are Awake For The Entire Procedure but remember nothing, often Believing They Were "Out" the whole time.

Versed (Midazolam) is an amnestic. It is also commonly used for minor procedures like setting broken bones,colonoscopies,endoscopies, dental procedures like extractions,conscious sedation,twilight sleep, so that patients won't remember pain and discomfort.HOWEVER THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THOSE SENSATIONS WILL NOT BE EXPERIENCED!!!!

A note from an anesthesiologist

I agree that using midazolam alone in painful situations is wrong. I've heard people getting colonoscopies and screaming, and maybe they remember, maybe they don't.

A note I got from someone on Yahoo Answers who did have a bad experience..This is very disconcerting... My sister said she heard me screaming from the waiting room but assumed it wasn't me. When we left we heard another female patient screaming. I did a lot of research since your post, thanks so much for the info.

Here is a note from a Dentist Who uses Versed

I've used Versed 1000+ times during oral surgery procedures and I've never had a complaint. It's a miracle drug because it is safe and it causes you to not remember an unpleasant experience. My answer to him is isn't it better to have not experienced the pain than to have forgot it. No wonder you have had no complaints they have no memory of the procedure.....

I feel that giving a drug for amnesia is cruel I would not want it done to me!

A strange development in medical thinking that it's okay for a patient to have

pain as long as they don't remember it and think they slept thru the procedure..

Here is a link for some info

http://www.freehelpforcancer.com/manages-meds/seda...

truly, I truly have had one. I loved it so properly, i purchased the organisation and adjusted its call to Colonoscopy for adult males club. we grant purchase 4, Get the fifth one free-very well-known! "i'm no longer in simple terms the owner, i'm a shopper too!"

I dont think physical pain will be an issue, however the embarrassment of having your rectum probeb by a long slinder tube with a camera on the end while the doctor and a couple of nurse's stand around looking up your butt may be slightly humiliating

One of the best afternoons of my life. I remember meeting the doctor and I remember the radio station playing in the room. Next thing I knew I was waking up after it was over.

• jim h

I have had 3 of them. I didn't think they were painful but more uncomfortable than anything else. Once it's over it doesn't take long to feel normal again.

No pain! the test is easy, you sleep and they look, when your done you may feel a little woozy and high.