what is the reason why coolant overflows from a watercooled kawasaki engine?

is this normal? or its overheating?

basically, i havent experienced overheating, its just that there is no more overflow bottle on my bike, and the overflow hose is sealed. So im confused whether to leave it as is or attach an overflow bottle??

Favorite Answer

Totally depends on where it's leaking FROM.

So, is it burping out of the overflow? Hissing from the cap? Oozing from a weep-hole on the side of the engine? Exploding from a spot between the cylinders and head, directly onto your leg?

More info please.

• Dave

I had this happen when I topped off the reserve tank and got it a bit too full. When the engine heated up, the coolant expanded into the tank and displaced some of the new fluid I just put in.

If it is a chronic problem for more than a week, you might consider checking on the cooling system itself. Normally the components are fairly simple - thermostat, hoses, radiator, overflow tank... good luck!

If its the new 250 fourstroke MX bike its normal. You have to be very careful to keep radiator filled. They are fitting larger radiators next year to help keep coolant emp down a bit and prevent boiling over. You could fit a header tank from the Suzuki RMZ400 dual sport.

No, it's not normal.

Does the fan come on? Could be a bad fan motor or thermostatic switch (fan switch).

The radiator cap might be worn out. The seal could be leaking or the spring in the cap could be worn out or the radiator filler neck could be damaged.

Is it leaking out of the engine case? Mechanical seal on the water pump.

Is it leaking from a hose?

When cool you might be overfilling, then when it gets hot and the coolant expands it comes out. I thought they had an overflow box like cars and trucks.

Sounds to me as if it's overheating. Don't let this conditon continue for very long; it can cause the heads to warp, score pistons, in general shorten the life of the engine.

Pretty much the same reason it overflows from a Honda engine.

you could passably have a internal head gasket failure or the thermostat could be bad or sticking.if the engine got really hot at one time it could have a crack which would put pressure in the cooling system and force it to over flow.