icu812 asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Do you remember where you were in 1948 when the U.N. made Isreal a country?

Please give as much detail as possible. How old were you? What country did you live in? What did the news reports say and what did your family say? What was your opinion at the time and has it changed? Who's idea was it- England or USA's more? Did you know at the time what a big deal this was? What country do you live in now?

Favorite Answer

I was 7 years old, in the second grade, living in the State of Oklahoma, in the United States. There was no discussion in my second grade class of the U.N. or Israel. My classmates were reading Dick and Jane, Tip and Mitten, and playing on the teeter-totters.

In 1959 I entered college. We were still not informed, or interested, about the U.N. or Israel. Most of my classmates did know that Moses was an Israelite. From our Midwestern religious teaching, we were aware that Moses had led the Israelites from Egyptian captivity into the dessert, where they roamed for 40 years; and, that Moses was denied entry into the "promised" land.

I have no Israeli ancestors, so I cannot speak to, nor address, their concerns. As a Native American, I can sympathize with their desire to inherit the land of their ancestors. Native Americans are continuing to regain the land and dignity that once belonged to them. Land can be acquired through legal venues; dignity can only be gained through respect.

• Blue

I was 7 years old and in second grade. I lived then where I live now in Indiana.

I didn't pay attention to the news.

How many 60+ people do you think visit this site?

Probably a gleam in my fathers' eye. I showed up in 1953. I didn't actually give any attention to this til the late seventies when this meant something to me. I've always lived in the U.S. Until I am able to pick up and live someplace else, far, far away.

I know now , exactly where I was in the U.S.A. and a child yet to be conceived. but as I grew in my faith it was as though Israel had always been there. I can only say what a big deal it is now.and I still remain in the same U.S.A. of my birth.

• R W

Well I was born in 1948 and honestly I don't remember much at that time. Sorry.

my mum was only 4 years old

I was one and don't remember the rest.