Any ideas on keeping the bird droppings/birds off the patio and patio furniture?

Favorite Answer

shotgun. BB gun. Alka Selzer tablets.

If it is possible, try running around 3 or 4 long pieces of fishing line above the patio. Restaurants with outside decks do this, usually having them cross in a spot or two.

The birds can somehow see the line, and it will keep them from landing in the area.

I have seen artificial owls in gardens to keep birds away. You can hang old computer discs on a string. The discs shimmer in the sun and move with the wind. To really keep birds out you would have to enclose and cover your patio.

This may sound like a silly answer but it worked for us. I took several of the CD's I've received in the mail from folks like AOL and drilled a small hole through it on an outer edge, put a few feet of string through the hole and hung this very shiny/reflective disk in some of my large trees. Worked great. The wind moves them and it frightens the birds. If your trees are not tall enough, try this on fence post or something similar. Good Luck!

In Disney World they researched this exact issue regarding their street signs. They found that birds didn't perch on this specific color, so they painted all of their signs this color. It seemed to be working the last time we visited--no birds or droppings! Unfortunately the color is this obnoxious purple (I bet you could find it online) and I don't know if you want screaming purple to be the theme of your patio. Good luck!

• Papa

A fake owl works for me. Just stationed on the patio and moved every few days.

Believe it or not the grain elevators use the heavy nylon lead ropes with a woven pattern in them and lay them around, the birds think it is a snake and won't go near it.

• I am gonna say get yourself a fake owl to put on or around your patio or...Maybe some sort of laser guided motion sensing heat tracking automatic weapon system...

• aussie

You can get a couple of these plastic owles which are the predators of small birds and they will be frightened away

There may be something of use here.