1983 johnson 35 hp outboard engine lower leg drop.?

i cant seam to get my 35 lower leg to drop,i took out the four bolts and one nut but still could not get the lower leg to seperate.what else is there?

Favorite Answer

Mercman is right but also on older engines the splines on the top of the drive shaft that mate with the powerhead do sometimes corrode and lock in place. To get over this you will have to dismantle the gearcase in place to remove it minus the shaft. Once removed you will need a puller to remove the shaft. When re-installing it make sure you coat the splines with MolyLube.

If I remember right the shift link in behind the water inlet screens. Remove the screens and you should see a turn buckle with a jam nut. Loosen the jam nut and back off the long nut and it should drop.

That engine was noit much ,when it was new 23 years ago. Sell it and buy you a new 40 Horse. You will be a happy man.

• Elbert

Did you forget the shift shaft?

i have no idea what you wrote and im gifted

my iq score was 171