What type of questions should you ask a lawyer before hiring one?

Favorite Answer

Obviously, it will vary depending on the kind of case or matter you are hiring the lawyer for, but make sure you nail down the exact nature of the fee agreement. If it's a contingency agreement, this MUST, repeat MUST, be in writing. Does the agreement cover representation through trial? Through an appeal? Does it allow that the case be referred to another lawyer?

Ask about general experience in the area where you are looking for advice, and make sure to ask about conflicts of interest, particularly if your case is one that may involve an insurance company. Ask the lawyer what percentage of his time is spent on plaintiffs matters versus defense matters. Essentially, try to establish whether he spends more time working for people like you or people like the people opposing you. It doesn't necessarily mean that he's best at one or the other type of representation, but it may tell you where his heart lies.

The more mundane stuff you need to ask about is who handles the day-to-day matters of your case. Is it a junior associate? A paralegal? A legal secretary? Be warned that you may not get an honest answer to this, but see what gets said. Ask how often cases are reviewed. Is there a diary system?

There are probably a lot of other items that I've missed, but I expect others will fill them in. Good luck.

the 1st element i might ask is how they cost. Do they cost a flat cost for a plea and a flat cost for a tribulation or do they cost hourly. next, i might ask them what their history is in criminal regulation. have been they a prosecutor at one time? Have they dealt with many criminal circumstances? what share trials have they first chaired (estimate)? in the event that they have a not common time telling you their expenditures, i could be very leery of that lawyer. Many legal experts cost better in case you call them on the telephone. i might ask in the event that they cost extra according to telephone call. i might additionally make constructive all the words are placed right into a freelance so as which you and the lawyer the two understand what's anticipated.

What is your experience in this field?

Have you handled matters like mine?

What are the possible outcomes of my case?

What are my alternatives in resolving the matter?

Approximately how long will it take to resolve?

Do you recommend mediation or arbitration?

What are your rates and how often will you bill me?

What is a ballpark figure for the total bill, including fees and expenses?

How will you keep me informed of progress?

What kind of approach will you take to resolve the matter - aggressive and unyielding, or will you be more inclined to reach a reasonable settlement?

Who else in the office will be working on my case?

Can junior attorneys or paralegals in the office handle some of the substantive legal work at a lower rate?

You must check the credibility and reputation of the lawyer before engaging him.

How many cases have you won? How many cases have you lost? Those are two of the most important questions.

Am I going to jail? If the answer is NO, How much it will cost me?

Have you satisfied the conditions of your parole?

Have you fully reimbursed your victims yet?

Do you still have a soul?

Are your parents married?

Do mirrors reflect your image?

Are you wearing a new flea collar?

how much is this going to cost me

How much do you charge…

How fast do you work?