mojojojo asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Im thinking from swithching from AIKIDO TO ITEKEN RYU I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS REALLY LIKE PLEASE TELL ME?

Favorite Answer

Aikido is an original system of martial arts.

A ryu, or ryu ha, is a branch or a school that has interpreted an established art in it's own way. In ancient Japan, there were many ryu ha of arts like ju jutsu, ken jutsu, etc. For example, Daito ryu aiki ju jutsu, Yoshitsune ryu ju jutsu, Shorin ryu karate, etc. Different clans & families would specialize and put their names on an art, but the various ryu ha could still be identified as the art they were derived from.

That said, Iteken ryu would not be the name of a system of martial arts, but a particular style of a system. So the question is, what system is Iteken ryu a part of? Without knowing that, nobody can advise you on this.

Incidently, a Google search on the exact term Iteken Ryu yields NO RESULTS, so I'd be especially wary of this teacher. Sounds like they might have made this up themselves.

Never heard of Iteken Ryu, and can't find it on the internet anywhere. Are you sure that is the correct name of the style?

In any event, I wouldn't switch to a style that I knew nothing about. I personally have to have an interest in a style if I'm going to spend the time and money to train in it, and I have to know quite a bit about it before I would be interested. Also I would need to know the style, the school, and the instructors were legitimate, knowledgeable, and professional before joining.

stick with what u have