Why should people in America speak English?

I think people can speak what ever language they want. BUT anyone in America should be able to speak English. We should not have to cater to other languages. We should be able to conduct business in English and not have to have translators available. When I go to other countries I do not expect everyone to speak... show more I think people can speak what ever language they want. BUT anyone in America should be able to speak English. We should not have to cater to other languages. We should be able to conduct business in English and not have to have translators available. When I go to other countries I do not expect everyone to speak English for me. Immigrants should assimilate to the American culture and language, after all why did they come here if they do not want to be American.

I am going to do a speech on this topc and would like to hear some opinions on WHY people should speak English, and HOW speaking or not speaking English affects us as a society.

Thanks for your input.

Just to clarify, I am not against immigration, only illegal immigration and those who want to come to America but act like they are still in there old country. If they want to be in there old country then go back. If you want to be in America then act like it. You chose to be here, no one is forcing you to stay.