On TV, why do CSI use a flashlight and don't simply turn on the light?

Favorite Answer

Cuz it makes them look cool and high tec, I think its funny when they get DNA results back in about 20mins when I the real world it takes the best part of a mnth

wondered about it myself. finally asked an old detective. first he says "adds to the drama" then he said "because the human mind can so easily miss the mundane and obvious, the flashlight is used to focus on only one small part at a time. " example he gave me : look at your coffee table in the day/room light- you see the obvious, one or two nicks, water rings- now focus on one section at a time with a flashlight- you see where there are smaller scratches, perhaps the overlapping of rings, ect .

anyway sorry for the long winded reason but wanted to make sure i wrote it out properly.

1. To preserve the crime scene. You'll also notice if the light is left on at the scene of the crime, they never bother to turn it off either.

2. Because a flashlight is a focussed beam of light, and forces you to focus on a small area at a time. It's easier to find things when you are forced to examine, then if the room is bright and your eyes tend to skim over things.

Flashlights have a better chance of not diturbing a crime scene. In some situations turning on the lights might upset some sort of evidence....... I think.....

Probably because it makes it more dramatic. If they're in a room that has all the lights on, it's not as creepy as when there is only a tiny light and the rest of the room is dark.

when using a flashlight to search a room. the light tends to make smaller items cast bigger shadows. therefor easyer to see than with the overhead lights on

The flashlight locates objects by forcing the user to concentrate on what he is looking at, whereas having the lights on may cause one to overlook certain details.

and...

it looks cooler on camera!

Because it works

I lost an earring and looked for ever it seemed

grabbed the flashlight and you would be surprised

what all you can see when you are looking at that

small illuminated space

• Xeod

The light switch, lamps, etc. are all part of the crime scene and may have fingerprints or other valuable evidence on them. They don't want to touch things that they might contaminate.

where is the 'drama' in that??? Too easy! Hey, have you ever noticed how they can solve a crime in 1 hr??? They should teach the local police something! ;)