What is methadone and what is it used for?

Favorite Answer

Methadone is a synthetic opioid, used medically as an analgesic and in the treatment of narcotic addiction. It was first brought to market by the pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly and Company.

Methadone acts upon specific receptors in the brain and spinal cord to decrease the feeling of pain and to reduce the emotional response to pain. The action of methadone is similar to other synthetic (man-made) medications in the morphine category (opioids). Substances that are derived directly from the opium plant (such as heroin, morphine, and codeine) are known as opiates.

Methadone is used to control cancer pain or chronic pain not caused by cancer when other opioids, such as morphine, have not been effective. 1

Methadone also is commonly used to treat addiction to opiates (such as heroin). Taken once a day, methadone eases opiate withdrawal for 24 to 36 hours, decreasing the chance of relapse.

Source(s): Yahoo Health

I believe Methadone is a drug to prevent meth abuse, but can only be taken by those who have used meth? If it's used by anyone else, it's deadly.

That's all I know, anyway, I'm not sure if it's true. Try Wikipedia?

i think methadone is used to fight heroine addiction.

i was on it for chronic pain, i have severe scoloisis and degenerative arthritis........i also have to have a total hip replacement...my hip has NO cartilege and it's rubbing bone on bone but i got off it cause it was making me just too weird and messed up looking........it's a very strong pain..opiate drug!!!!! I am on Lortab now which is codeine and is a little less strong.

your more than likely asking because of what happened to annas son I saw it and it said that its a medication that help drug users wean of of the drugs they are using or if the had a drug problem before it helps them stop it is kinda like a drug though it still gives you that high layed back feeling one of my moms friends used it to get off drugs and she would stay in bed all day looking high as a kite.

It is given to Junkies to keep them stoned ..so they dont buy dodgy Heroin or share infected needles.. loads of chemists in Glasgow make few $£ out of it..

It is the drug used to get people off of Heroin with less withdrawl symptoms.

methadone is a narcotic drugs use as painkiller.

it is a drug used to help herion addicts its just like herion and u can get addicted to it also