Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

alimp_82 asked in TravelFranceParis · 1 decade ago

paris must see attractions?

what are the must-see attractions in paris in a three day visit?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Wow! There is so much to see in Paris. Just spent two weeks there and didn't get in everything we wanted! ;-)

First, buy a Metro Pass for the length of your trip. It is not only cheaper to buy it online before your trip, it is so much more convenient too. Also, if you plan on going to more than three museums, buy a Museum Pass as well. There's no waiting in line to purchase tickets and it pays for itself. Also, some museums are open in the evening so you can visit and then go back another time. The pass gives you unlimited visits for the number of days you purchased the pass for. Go to www.museumpass.com and you can buy both from this site.

After finding their site (and others), I went to AAA and they go through these guys! So I went to them directly in order to pay less.

Eiffel Tower - of course, this is a must see during the day, but be sure to go at night as well. Take a blanket and pack dinner or wine and cheese. Sit back, relax and watch the Eiffel Tower light up!

Notre Dame - climb the tower stairs to the top for an amazing view. There are a lot of gargoyles to take pictures of. Go inside for a service (even if you're not religious, just enjoy the beauty). Or go when service is not in session to see the interior architecture. Also, they are open until 11:00 p.m. on Saturday nights so if you go during the day go back at night to see the city from a different perspective.

Take a boat ride along the Siene - you'll see Paris from another perspective. You can either take the tourist trip to see various sites or a dinner cruise.

Luxembourg Park - beautiful park (huge!). There are outdoor cafes to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee and people watch or just go for a stroll.

Catacombes - burial site - cool and yet spooky at the same time.

Sewers - Les Egouts - this was cool. It's an underground museum of the Paris sewer system. Probably about 30 mins or so and it doesn't smell as bad as you may think.

Museums - of course, you can't miss the Louvre, but be sure to also see the Musee D'Orsay, Conceiergerie and the Pompidou. Most people don't realize there is a museum at the Arc de Triumph. There's also a changing of the guard every day (I believe it's at 6:00 p.m.). It is a nice ceremony and many Frenchmen who served in WWII are present carrying flags.

Chateaus - The musueum pass is good at some of the chateaus as well so be sure to check their website for a complete list. Versailles (take the metro/train), Fontainbleau and Vincennes (if you have transportation outside of Paris).

Cemetery - Pere Lachaise is a large, beautiful cemetery where you can see the tombstones of many famous people including Jim Morrison.

Spend time in the Latin Quarter of Paris - great restaurants, bookstores (where Hemingway used to hang out), shops and people watching. Good for any age and is comprised mostly of college age kids.

Every time we go to Paris, we always end up at the hardware store at BHV. It is a great place with so many things. My husband and I brought back a gate hinge we weren't able to find anywhere here in the states. I know, it's silly, but it is pretty cool and we have a unique souvenir. Went upstairs to shop for a new wallet and found everything outside the hardware department was pretty expensive.

Outdoor cinema - if you go during the summer, they show movies on a huge inflatable screen. They close off the surrounding streets and you can just sit and watch the movies (some with subtitles). Even if you don't understand the language, it is still a nice experience. Get a taste of Paris!

Food - Don't expect much to be open on Sunday nights. Generally, you can only find Chinese food. Outside of that, explore the different foods. There is so much to choose from, Greek, Italian, Ethiopian, Indian, etc., etc. Pricing is fixed so you may 12E for a meal and it will include appetizer, entree and dessert. The fixed price also includes the tip so don't feel you need to give 20% (although leaving a little extra is always nice). Also, don't expect a typical American breakfast - unless you go to McDonald's.

We rent an apartment when we go because it is not only cheaper than a hotel, you also have more conveniences of home - especially a full kitchen. Go to your local market and pick up bread, cereal, juice, milk, etc. and have in the apartment for breakfast - you can eat lunch out while you explore the city. It's also nice to have when you come back in the evening and you want a snack or something to drink.

We went to Disneyland one evening - it's less after 5:00 p.m. and they are open until 11:00 p.m. so it gives you plenty of time to explore the park. We went on a Friday night in August and it was not at all crowded. The rides are a bit different than what we are used to in California and Florida, but I love going and comparing.

Many Parisians take holiday in August so be aware some shops will be closed (and may be for the entire month!).

So much more...feel free to contact me if you want additional tips/info.

Bon voyage! ;-)

• 5 years ago

Paris Must See Attractions

• 1 decade ago

Only three days? You might as well plan your next trip, because there's no way you'll have seen everything. I've been twice and I still didn't get to do everything! If you only have 3 days then I'd say, stick with the obvious ones. Plus make sure you take time to sit at a cafe, take a walk though a grocery store to see what parisians buy and eat, buy some pastries at a patissery and a fresh baguette at a boulangerie. Have dinner in the Latin Quarter and sit on the banks of the Seine and listen as the city whirs around you. Oh...and don't forget to look up at the Eiffel Tower at night!

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Have a look on the links below. i went a few weeks ago but was only there for 2 nights. the lourve was amazing but leave plenty of time to see it and go early it opens arounfd 7.30-8.30 i think. notre dame is pretty good to. Be careful when walkin around as there are a lot of scams on in the parks on bridges. - a bloke will come ask u to put out ur finger and make a bracelet then wants twenty euros for it. also people in pairs or on their own will seemingly pic a ring or money of the floor and distract u ask for money or pick ur pockets. -don't let it put u off i had a great time especially watching the scammers picking there targets in front as ur walking along. if u have a digital camera make sure u have a decent sized memory card as there are so many beautiful buildings and gardens.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It really depends on what your into but my suggestions would be the Lourve (get your tickets at Fnac - electronics store, lines at the Lourve are insane), the Eiffel Tower (go to the top for a great view of Paris), Luxembourg Gardens (it's a fantastic park to read a book in or just people watch). Musee D'orsay (great museum in a refurbished train station, Notre Dame, Point Neuf foot bridge (just hang out and enjoy the view). Cafe Le Flore on Blvd St Germaine (great place for a coffee or hot chocolate and people watching. Or for dinner across the street go to Cafe Lipp. There are so more places to see visit, it's a great city, Enjoy!

• 1 decade ago

The Louvre, catacombs (miles of corridors lined with human bones - macabre but fascinating), Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Montmartre, Arc d'Triomphe.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The airport so that you can get the h ell out.

Day one: Holy krap a chesseburger is $30

Day two: The cab driver has been driving us past the same intersection for a half an hour.

Day three: I can't believe we paid to have someone p iss on us.

• 1 decade ago

I found this website http://www.parismustsee.com/ I hope it helps. At least it will give you an idea as you read info about museums and monuments, and the time-days they are open.

• alan
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

boat trip on the river Seine

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

http://paris.c-lafrance.com/ will give you suggestions on monuments, visits, hotels, restaurants, shops, clubs, ...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.