Chronic Constipation HELP!?

I have dealt with chronic constipation since I was a little kid, but in recent years, it has gotten worse. My doctor has done nothing for me but put me on the perscription laxative Miralax, but it's getting to be that now I can't even go without taking it. I'm getting worried. Fiber and fluids don't really seem to help. I've been to my doc several times and she has done nothing for me. I've considered seeing a different doctor. Anyone have any suggestions??

Best Answer

Change your doctor, you really should have been refered to a specialist by now, he will know if there is an underlying cause. In the meantime see if you can buy senna without a prescription (I don't know, because I get mine with a Prx) I have to take four per day-2 after lunch and 2 after my evening meal- it's the only thing that works for me. I suffer from ulcerative colitis and severe constipation. Occasionally and usually if I miss a dose I have to resort to Picolax, just to get things moving again. Picolax is very powerful and is given to clear you out prior to a colonoscopy, so I don't know if you'll need a prx for this. Again I say change your doctor, she has been VERY remiss in your diagnosis and treatment.

Recommendations:

Consume a high fiber diet made up of lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. If that is not possible, incorporate a dietary fiber supplement such as psyllium hulls, Natures Sunshine’s Nature’s Three or their Irritable Bowel Fiber into your daily health routine. Dietary fiber holds water and help to keep the stool soft, while added bulk help to move the stool through the colon.

If other fiber supplements fail in your attempt to become regular, try taking Chitosan (a form of dietary fiber) along with vitamin C. The chitosan binds to fats from the foods we eat making the stool soft and smooth. The vitamin C helps to activate the chitosan in the stomach.

Drink plenty of water, especially if you are taking supplemental fiber.

Try eating a few dried prunes or drinking some prune juice. In addition to adding fiber, prunes have a mild laxative effect.

Avoid sugar and other processed foods.

Begin a regular exercise program to help promote normal bowel movements.

If you think allergies are the cause of your constipation, try an elimination diet to help you to identify what may be triggering your body and causing your colon to contract.

Meditate, do yoga, go for a walk. Do things that will allow you to reduce your stress levels and help your body to relax. This can help relax your colon.

Get a colonic to flush out any old fecal matter that may be trapped within the colon or try a colon cleanse.

Take a good probiotic such as acidopholis or bifidophilus to help promote a healthy environment within the colon.

Peppermint (3910-9) has a long history of helping relax the smooth muscles of the gastrointestinal tract.

Supplementation with magnesium and large doses of vitamin C, have a mild laxative effect on the body.

If all else fails, herbs such as casgara segrada, turkey rhubarb or herbal combinations such as Natures Sunshine's LBS II and LB-X can be used to evacuate the colon. While these should be used with caution, they are less aggressive than many commercial laxatives that are available at the supermarket.

You should definately see another doctor...

Prolonged laxative use without consulting a physician is not advisable for the following reasons:

A person may have an underlying problem such as stress, depression, lack of exercise, an underactive thyroid gland, kidney failure, and colon or rectal cancer.

A person’s diet may lack enough fiber or liquids or he/she may be eating too many foods that promote constipation.

Drugs the person is taking may be causing the irregularity. Antacids, antidepressants, antihistamines and calcium channel blockers are some of the drugs that can interfere with regularity.

• Susan

Best Constipation Cures

Fiber and lots of fluids. Fiber without fluids can cause constipation too. heh.

Drink as much as you can possibly drink.

Only other suggestion is to seek a different doctor because you may have something very specific.

i think it would be a good idea to see another dr. for a second opinion. have you tried zelnorm? also it might be beneficial to go ahead and have a colonoscopy done. it isn't that big of a deal. i had it done at the age of 30 and it was fine. it puts your mind at ease also.

definitly see another doctor and try and watch what food you eat, cheese is especially binding, sometimes you just need some relaxing music and a week of yoga to get you centered again, good luck, and big hugs

Hi go to health shop and try there sugar free sweets they really work

Did you add flax seeds to your diet? How about bagged Salinas spinach?? The ecoli should bust thru!

colon cleansing, it helps get rid of the feces that has built up in your colon, without taking meds.