10k gold vs higher k gold!?

is there a disadvantage to 10 k gold?

ME & RO jewelry is creating a lot of beautiful and

expensive jewelry using ten karat gold....

Favorite Answer

10k doesn't have as much gold as 14k or 18k - the lower the numeral, the lower the actual gold content vs base metal content. The one advantage of the lower gold content; a stronger piece of jewelry. Gold is so soft, so malleable - they have to mix in the base metals in order to craft it. No actual disadvantage, it should be less expensive than the higher k golds . . . I've never had anything 10k turn my finger green or anything of that nature; it holds up well, cleans up nicely & is just as good.

• Erika

Cheap 10k Gold Jewelry

24K Gold is pure solid gold. However, gold in it's purest form is soft and therefore does not always perform well as jewelry. Anything less than 24K is gold mixed with another metal such as copper, iron, aluminum or other. The more percentage of other metal the harder the gold gets and of course this also affects the color hence the term white gold which is gold and platinum. So in essence the less pure gold the less value. That's why gold electroplate is so cheap because there is only a thin skin of gold that is attached to the outside of another metal. Expensive jewelry that is 10K is basically higher priced do to it's design and other elements such as the addition of gemstones.

• beez

There is also 18 and 11 K gold

10k gold has fewer parts gold and higher parts alloys than 14k, 18k, and 24k. 24k is the purest form of gold jewelry (that I am aware of) and is incredibly soft. Often, it is best to get rings in 10k or 14k, as they are made from a stronger gold. At times, there is a slight color change - the higher gold content may be a more yellow gold. Personally, I think it is all a matter of preference.

The higher the karat of gold the softer it is, and the easier to bend, ding, or break. 10k is just fine. It holds up well, I prefer 14, or 18. 10k is great, and doesn't look any different, shine or color really. You can get all different colors of gold, and still be 10k.

I invite you to read about different gold karat in my info page at:

http://sarit-jewelry.com/Info.html

There is no disadvantage to using 10 K gold, only a lower content of gold than in 14 K or higher K gold. The color is deeper in high-K gold, but this is a matter of personal preferences.

Sarit.

my understanding is that it is a lesser value of gold but it is stronger than 14k 18k and 24k.

I purchase 10k for my daughter, its more durable.

10 k gold is ok to buy.

lesser value of gold