Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

Is bra Burning a Myth?

In the late 1960's women burned bras.Because it was a man that created the bra, and it has restrictions. Many articles that i found aer saying this is a myth. Is it true or a myth, and are there any good sites you could lead me too?

• CJ
    Favorite Answer

While I'm sure that someone must have burned their bra at some point (and, indeed, it would be hard to prove otherwise), I can confidently state that the notion of widespread bra-burning within the feminist movement is definitely a myth. The NOW site (see link below) says the following:

"In September 1968, New York NOW members and other women's liberation activists picketed the Miss America pageant in Atlantic City, New Jersey, and though no bras were actually burned that day (some were thrown into a trash can), this is the event from which the myth of the bra burners evolved."

The highly reliable myth-busting site Snopes backs this up, stating that the claim that "the 1968 Miss America pageant spawned a decade of bra-burning by feminists as a means of calling attention to their cause" is false:

"In the late 1960s, radical feminists began using rhetoric and protest tactics as a way of indelibly imprinting their message on the public. They staged dramatic and at times deliberately provocative demonstrations (which they called "zap actions") to focus attention on women's need for liberation. The first and most famous of these stagings occurred at the 1968 Miss America beauty pageant when a small group of women picketed the pageant with signs proclaiming, "Let's Judge Ourselves as People.'' They crowned a live sheep, and dumped girdles, cosmetics, high-heeled shoes, and bras into a "freedom trash can" while the cameras clicked. There was no fire, let alone busty feminists stripping off bras in public to toss them onto bonfires, but the image of brassieres going into a trash can was captured in a memorable photo. A flippant print reference to bra-burning then melded itself into memories of this photo to create the false memory now so vivid in recall."

See the Snopes link below for the full piece.

PS: (Willy) Men are not the enemy. Sexism is. Feminists aren't trying to win some puerile "battle of the sexes". We're fighting for equality and men are welcome to join us.

PPS: (Mortisia 1212) I found a biography for Emmeline Pankhurst but couldn't find any reference to bra burning. Which biography are you referring to? A link would be great.

• proto

Bra Burning

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is bra Burning a Myth?

Source(s): bra burning myth: https://shortly.im/TEL5m

Yea, a few did on TV, mostly out in LA and New York and somehow they ended up on the 6 o' Clock news because of the "rebelling"generation. Every one who rebelled against anything on campus made the news. Whether it was protesting the Vietnam War, the draft, or the so-called feminist movement What really liberated women was " THE PILL" sung by Loretta Lynn.and women started running around without bras on (under a t-shirt or blouse) but burning them really never caught on.

Source(s): I am MY SOURCE!!!! I was there in the 60's and 70's

No,it is not a myth. It actually happened. Search for the biography of Emily Pankherst.

It is not a myth. It hapened here in the US. Go to the website of the National Organization for Women and research bra burning. I think the site is www.now.org.

no it is not a myth, look up Jane Fonda or Anita Byrant

They were and still are tired of being paid less then men are for doing the same job, being told a womans place is in the home in the kitchen.

Willy's cynical thought for the fugging day;

Question to the feminists; how can you expect to win the battle of the sexes when 90% of your team is sleeping with the enemy?

I dunno any sites but google 'bras' and you should get some! I was around in the 60's and remember some of those protests! I've heard that a man & a woman created the bra, from different people!

http://www.willyblues.com/

I was a child of the sixties and I remember seeing the women on the news burning their bras........

A few feminazis may have done it as a publicity stunt but that's about it...

I am certain they have all put them back on to carry what must now be seriously sagging boobs...