What do Americans think of Noam Chomsky?

Noam Chomsky is famous for speaking his mind, even if that means criticizing U.S. foreign policy. He often talked in his lecture about injustices happening in the world and how U.S. as a sole superpower is not doing right things to promote peace and properity in the world.

I watched number of interviews of him and he seemed genuine and outspoken, not afraid of talking about tough issues. What is general American's view of Noam Chomsky? Has any of you read his book, "Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance?" If yes, what do you think of the book? Thanks in advance for any insights.

Favorite Answer

I don't think most Americans know who he is ... I think that he's quite visionary. He probably scares the powers that be ...

Chomsky is one of the finest scholars in America. His efforts span the course of decades to show the injustices in the world due to abuse of governmental power. His courage and diligence never cease to amaze. He works for us, the little guys, the ones who don't have (or make) the time to research all of the issues the media fail to report. He means to empower us to dig deeper and question authority to ensure that only legitimate authority is exercised.

I haven't yet read Hegemony, but plan to.

To one of the other answers posted to this question: Note that Chomsky consistenly supports the right of free speech whether or not he agrees with an author's premise (e.g. Holocaust denier, etc.) or not. It's of utmost importance to distinguish between support for the principle of free speech and support for the views of a speaker/writer. If we don't believe in the right of free speech for distasteful speech, then why have the right at all.

I think he's a very intelligent man that takes on the perspective of other people and shares in their plight. That's why he makes the kind of recommendations he does because he's not afraid to look at the world from different sunglasses.

I wonder if there are pretzel-shaped sunglasses out there. They would look good on the American president.

Famous for speaking his mind? There are a lot of nut cases on this site that do the same thing, it does not mean they have any brains. It is easy to criticize, much less easy to come up with a workable solution that isn't narcissistic. Get the idea?

Just a socialist leading a group of wackos in thought, not really worth bothering with worry, lots like him on college campuses, only the freaks buy off on it, the rest nod along to get their grade.

I haven't read him but I know what he's like; the guy defends Holocaust deniers and Pol Pot's takeover of Cambodia.

No doubt that he is a smart man in his field (linguistics) but his ideas are not right for America.

Clear thinking Americans think he's full of it.

Delusional socialist blowhard.