pc asked in TravelUnited StatesWashington, D.C. · 1 decade ago

I want to go camping on the top of a mountain somewhere near Northern Virginia. Any ideas?

A lot of the campgrounds or places you are allowed to camp within parks do not allow for camping above a certain elevation like 2000 ft. I was wondering are there any campgrounds or places where they allow to go camping on the very top or close to it? It's definitely time to go camping with fall comming around and I wanna go star gazing. Thank you!

• Bobbie
    Favorite Answer

Loft Mountain (Mile 79.5) Skyline Drive

This is the largest campground in the park with 219 sites. It is the southernmost campground, located less than a 30-minute drive from the Rockfish Gap entrance station where the Skyline Drive begins at I-64. It is well isolated from Skyline Drive, located near the summit of Loft Mountain. Unlike other campgrounds on Skyline Drive, Loft Mountain has a limited number of tent and RV sites that have a view of the surrounding valleys. In the fall, these views are breathtaking. There are two waterfalls that are within easy hiking distance.

http://members.aol.com/adnascar/camping.html

Here's another winner Grayson Highlands State Park . It's Park Entrance - 3,698 feet; Visitor Center - 4,953 feet; Little Pinnacle - 5,089 feet. http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/parks/graysonh.htm

Tells about the park and the camping there.

Have fun!

• ?

Appalachain Trail passes through there.

Skyline Drive (starts at Front Royal, Va.) runs along the mountaintops.

• hooser

Ow. damn. and that i've got no longer even seen the action picture yet. For making me reconsider the dissimilar lines from my admired Clint Eastwood westerns, you will be shot, even yet it replaced right into a damned humorous thank you to make me reconsider them, so for that, you get a celebrity!

up on skyline drive would be good.

If you like hiking I would suggest Old Rag.....excellent hike IMO.