~*Katie*~ asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

What are signs that a fish is pregnant?

Favorite Answer

I have two fish that produce babies like crazy lol. In fact I had to get another tank just to put the babies in because they was having so many of them. One of mine is light in color and you can see the babies inside her. They will get big and I can always tell when she is about ready to have them is a little white plug or something lol will form at her butt, and also their stomach will get like a square shape at the bottom then it is time . I dont use breeder grass I just dont like it and to many c hances they will get eaten and the bigger fish will eat them and so will the momma fish at times to. I went to my fish store and got a breeder cup and it has a little divder in it . When she has them they will drop down there and when she is done they say 10-12 hrs but mine has never been that long you take her out and then take that divdier out and the little ones can swim.

Don't feed them the first 2-3 days they wont eat they mostly lay at the bottom and rest, once they start to swim just take a little bit food and make sure its fine and give them some .

Also dont do an y water changes the first month of their lives when I know they are about ready to have babies I do a water change so then I dont have to worry about it when she has them so it dont put the little ones in shock.

Sometimes your pet store will take the babies after they get so big mine is 1inch to 2 inches and you can get instore credit for them its not much but it pays for my food every month from them

Good Luck

Pregnant Fish

Most fish don't get pregnant. The livebearers like guppy, molly, platty, and swordtails do get pregnant. Other than that a swelled belly is the result of over feeding, or dropsy. Female live bearers will often develop a black spot(s) (aka eye spot) which are the eyes of the fry on the underside of the belly toward the tail.

• jen

They look like they have eaten way too much. They are very fat. You need to get some breeding grass. If you have not already. They can lay their eggs there and the babies can be safe from the adults by hiding in there.

• iceni

With live-bearing fish like molly, platy, guppy, and swordtails, you can sometimes see the gravid spot on them, If they are lightly colored enough, the eyes show through the abdomen right above the anus

A

mmm looks bigger without extra food...and she wants weird food? .or suddenly there are a LOT more of 'em!! :) go to your pet shop (when nearby) and quiz thm (if no-one here knows..but they prob do!) still trying to work out how i got kids!!

one thing i have noticed from my due livebearers, is that they tend to rock side to side in the water, this is when i put them in a net, tehn usuallly then give birth the next day.

• Ice cream and shrimp

They get fat lol adn pretty fast to and some you can see the babies forming

their belly get extremely enlarged