samiracat asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Deserted island, alone, rest of your long life: what 10 music works OR single composer would you want?

Thinking about expanding my music library---wanted other inputs....esp. classical, jazz, opera, but will consider all types EXCEPT rap/hiphop.

Your choices on the island will be the ONLY pieces of music you will EVER hear again in your life, except for what you sing/play solo. Choose carefully; we're talking 30+ years here!

"Work"--an album (double CD OK), complete opera or symphony, collection of musical pieces NORMALLY PERFORMED TOGETHER to make a coherent whole, etc. (You music ppl know the fancy terms.)

Or, if 10 musical works are too tough to choose, which single musical composer's works would you pick to take along, given that you will hear no other music for rest of your life? And why that particular composer?

Yes, it's a lot of work. I'm hoping music lovers will put in their 2 cents worth and share, and not be concerned abt the points. (But if you know any spectacularly good covers of piece X, I'd be grateful for the tipoff.) Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Well in Opera I can suggest:

Karl Orff - Carmina Burana (the deutsche gramophon version with soprano Gundula Janowitz) best version

G. F Haendel - Rodelinda (with countertenor Andreas Scholl) also Serse, and Radamisto

Arias from Farinelli, get the original soundtrack its a french cd, make sure its by the counter tenor Derek -Lee Ragin and not a soprano

G. Puccini - Tosca ( there are some lovely versions out there I prefer some of the older ones with Maria Callas and Renata Tebaldi) and La Boheme with Freni and Pavarotti, Turandot with Nilsson and Corelli

Classical Music

Ludwig van Beethoven - 9th symphony Herbert von Karajan conductor

Mozart - Requiem

J.S. Bach anything you can get your hands on..way too many to mention but make sure you have "Air"

Johann Pachelbel - Canon

Antonio Vivaldi - The four seasons.. anything you can get your hands on Baroche is essential..

Marcello, Geminiani, Telemann, Locatelli, Corelli they are all fantastic exponents of the baroche music

F. Chopin - Nocturnes and Preludes specially Prelude in E major

S. Rachmaninoff - Concertos 1, 2, 3, and 4

Eric Satie - Trois Gymnopedies and Gnossiennes 1, 2, and 3

Claude Debussy - "Bergamasque" #3 "Clair de lune" , La Mer

Igor Stravinsky - Petrushka

Jazz

Miles Davis - Tutu, Kind of Blue, Miles Smiles, Sketches of Spain

Bitches Brew... Miles versions of My funny Valentine

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Billy Holliday - anything you can get..specially tracks like strange fruit, you go to my head, God bless the child,

Pat Metheny - Letter from Home, The road to you, Still life (talking) I Can See Your House from Here with John Scofield (listed here as a duet -- also accompanied by Steve Swallow and Bill Stewart) (1993)

Beyond the Missouri Sky (Short Stories) with Charlie Haden (1996)

prog rock fusion/jazz

King Crimson - In the court of the Crimson King, Islands, Lizard, Red, Larks Tongues in Aspic, Three of a perfect Pair, Discipline, Starless and Bible Black, (pretty much all of it will make my day)

Jaco Pastorius - Punk Jazz Anthology

Mike Stern - Standards (and Other Songs), Who Let the Cats Out, Play, A Remark You Made, Jaco, Straight, No Chaser, Odds and Evens, These Times

Birelli Lagrene - My Melancholy Baby, Bluma, Mirage [Live],

Routes to Django: Live, Move, Standards

Jean Luc Ponty - Tarantula

Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine

Gene Krupa - The Gene Krupa Story 4 CDs

Dave Brubeck - Take Five (live)

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Crossing the Tracks, Perpetual Motion, Music for Two, The Hidden Land

Pat Martino - El Hombre '67, Desperado '70, Fire Dance with Zakir Hussain tabla percussion '99

Anything by Larry Coryell and John Scofield (Im not picky theyre marvelous)

Apologize in advance for such a long post.. got carried away, there's more stuff I could listen for the next 30 yrs no doubt : )

Complicated question but I love it even if there's no way I have 30+ years left. I'm hoping for 20+ though. Here goes:

1. My complete collection of Bryan Adams. Specifically "So Far So Good".

2. My incomplete collection of Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

3. My complete collection of The Beatles. "Rubber Soul" is my fave.

4. My almost complete collection of U2 particularly the earlier, edgier stuff.

5. Snow Patrol. Excellent story tellers. Love "Chasing Cars"

6. the Soundtrack to "West Side Story". even though Natalie Wood didn't sing.

7. Melissa Ethridge-"Yes I Am"

8. My complete "Jock Jams" collection. Gets ya movin' and you'd need the

exercise on a deserted island. There's a bit of mild rap but it's not radical.

9. All the Kingston Trio recordings. the song "Zombie Jamboree" is great.

10. I'd have to have some Rolling Stones-old stuff like "Sastisfaction" and the

remake of "Not Fade Away". Not the newer crapola, though.

Re-reading the list I realize just how infantile I really am. Oh well, you like what you like!

Soundtrack to Almost Famous

Soundtrack to The Harder they Come

Holding Up Half The Sky: Women In Reggae/Roots Daughters

An Irish Evening: Live At The Grand Opera House, Belfast

Bob Marley - Songs of Freedom [BOX SET]

Loreena McKennitt Live In Paris & Toronto [LIVE]

Tracy Chapman New Beginning

Joni Mitchell Blue

Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix

Silly Wizard Live Wizardry [LIVE]

The opera. La Boheme, is still the world's most popular opera after over 100 years. Puccini's music and orchestral dynamics, his melodies and harmonies are thrilling.

Every album that Led Zeppelin put out..

Ever since I first heard Led Zeppelin and their music moved me to tears, I have said that if I could listen to no one else for the rest of my life, it would be Led Zeppelin. They are by far my favorite group EVER!

1- Black Album from Metallica

2- Allegiance from Firewind

3-Train of thought from Dream Theater

4-Once from Nightwish

5-Majestic from After Forever

6-S&M from Metallica (it's a concert with a symphonic orchestra)

7-Century Child from Nightwish

8-Decipher from After forever

9-Ghost reveries from Opeth

10-Angels fall first from Nightwish

(Nightwish and AfterForever are female-fronted bands with soprano singers)

I'd take the group Yo La Tengo

BEATLES, A DAY IN THE LIFE: BILLY JOEL, PIANO MAN: STEELY DAN, EAST ST. LOUIS TOODLE-DO & SHOWBIZ KIDS: JIM CROCE, LOVERS CROSS & TIME IN A BOTTLE: AMERICA, SISTER GOLDEN HAIR: DEAN MARTIN, THAT'S AMORE: BOB MARLEY, BUFFALO SOILDERS: FRANK SINATRA, MY WAY...