How to hedge against the risk that God really exists...?

...assuming that we will all find out when we die?

Descartes already thought about this, and he invented probability. I mean, Warren Buffett hedged against the possibility of an earthquake that would cancel the world soccer championship. What about this?

Pascal, not Descartes... I swear Yahoo changed that, but I shouldn't swear... so yeah.

Favorite Answer

Try joining all the major religions and practice the major teachings. If the teachings are in conflict as does happen occasionally, apply hedging concepts - two bob each way. Remember, risk goes with rewards. Also remember the power of compounding i.e if you do good deeds each day and do them early, the rewards are going to be substantial over time. Quite easy really as you appear to know the price of everything!

• Ranto

It wasn't Descartes who presented this idea -- it was Blaise Pascal.

Unfortunately, the hedge doesn't work both ways. There is an assumption that he makes that is crucial to his argument that anyone not believing in God will reject.

He assumes that if you believe in God and he doesn't exist, then nothing is lost. The truth is that in that case EVERYTHING is lost.

The other logical fallacy to his argument is that if Christians are right, believing in God as a hedge will not work -- because God cares about the reason why you are a believer. He will reject those who are merely doing it to avoid punishment.

Why bother to hedge against an impossibility? Not the impossibility that God exists, but the impossibility that a hedge might work.

But if you seriously wish to, talk to your local priest. The Catholic Church at one time was hot into the sale of indulgences. They might still be able to sell you a ticket to heaven. Or you might pay a priest to give you the last rights before you make your final trip.

However the Bible warns against such things.

"But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." Matthew 15:9

• NC

You are misspecifying the risk. The risk is not that God exists, but that you face repercussions because of it. Now look at Jews, Christians, and Muslims; they believe in the same God, but go about it in very different ways. So even if you believe that the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob exists, you still need to decide whether you want to be circumcised and, if so, whether you should go on hajj.

Also, the whole idea of risk may have nothing to do with God. As Albert Einstein once said to Niels Bohr, God does not play dice...

You, will find out when you die. You have 2 choices in life, Heaven or hell. You have to have faith in God

. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, not seen.

Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins and you have to ask him into your heart and believe it. Jesus said,,, The only way to the Father,,, Is through him. Start reading your Bible and God will open up your eyes to his heart.

Source(s): Holy Bible

Not something I would want to hedge on if I was you. Better safe than sorry in my book.

Try not to hedge against, but try to accept and improve.

A gambling man eh? Well punk what you've got to ask yourself is do you feel lucky? Go ahead make my day.

• WC

By believing in Him, while there is still time, and living righteously.

It don't work that way m8ty :)