monica g asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

general anesthetic?

is it common to use general anesthetic if you have to have one tooth extracted?

Favorite Answer

If you are a candidate for general anesthesia, if you request it and if you pay for it. No insurance seems to pay for it, so you will have to pay for it out of pocket. I guess anesthesia is considered an unnecessary luxury.

The dergee of difficulty might make the surgeon recommend general anesthesia, but some people want it for the easiest of extractions. Again, if you want it and can pay for it, you should request it and you will get it. If the surgeon you talk to says no and it has nothing to do with your medical background, just go find someone else who will be happy to take your money for a quick and easy anesthesia.

Absolutely Not! Especially if this is a simple extraction I can see no reason for this at all. With general anesthesia there are many more risks present than with a local. Knowing no other details than you have provided, the answer is NO!

Usually they use local anesthetics. Was it gas? If it was then it would be a general type. I had a black widow and a root canal done and they did not do general anesthesia. It sounds a bit suspicious.

I doubt your insurance will pay. I have a horrible phobia when going to the dentist so my doctor prescribed halcion for me. Take 30 minutes before my appt and I just relax and let the work begin. You'll need a ride home, though. Good luck!

It depends on the tooth and it depends on you.

Some people can't get much help from local anesthetics.

not in the dentist office. depending on the dentist they would use a local anesthetic and maybe some nitrous oxide to keep you calm.

I dont believe many dentists if any would use a general. most likely a local