do military years of experience carry over to gov't experience, relating to retirement eligibility?

ie Navy JAGC for 5 years transfer over to US Attorney years of experience for retirement?

• ?
    Best Answer

Yes and you also have to buy your time back. Right now I am paying $100 a month to buy back my military time. For 4 years in the military I have to pay $1600. I will then have a total of 9 years federal service.

Source(s): I work for VA.
  • medic

Yes but you have to buy back your years toward retirement (3% of your pay for your time in service)

Source(s): doing so now

Yes, if you were active duty for over 181 days and the job at the US Attorney's office is federal civil service.

yes, but you have to pay a tax on your military earnings that was exempt while you were military. This is to add the military time to your retirement.

Your 5 years is immediately added to your time in service for vacation, sick, and govt service.

Source(s): search civil service employees

Yes, it transfers over, but I was told that things such as seniority don't transfer. you should ask the person doing the hiring to be completely sure.

Unless of course you got any kind of compensation, i.e. separation pay or medical retirement... then you MAY have to pay a portion of that back also....

Source(s): 26 years USN and counting

Yes, I believe so.

yes

yes it is called GS level, government service.

Yes... but you have to pay for it. My husband just did it !!!