Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

is it true that you can remove a tapeworm by dangling a piece of meat on a string in front of an open mouth?

i may be wrong but i think i remember seeing a film in high school biology (one of those old 1960s/1970s films) where there was a woman and she had a tapeworm. the doctor(?) told her to open her mouth and explained that the tapeworm would smell(?) the meat and be lured out of her intestine. he then proceeded to dangle a piece of meat in front of her mouth and wait. sure enough, here came that tapeworm, eventually. or maybe its one of those false memories.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Gone
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It's a myth, old wives tale call it what you will.

I was told this as a child, I was horrified.

Don't try this at home lol.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

is it true that you can remove a tapeworm by dangling a piece of meat on a string in front of an open mouth?

i may be wrong but i think i remember seeing a film in high school biology (one of those old 1960s/1970s films) where there was a woman and she had a tapeworm. the doctor(?) told her to open her mouth and explained that the tapeworm would smell(?) the meat and be lured out of her intestine. he...

Source(s): true remove tapeworm dangling piece meat string front open mouth: https://biturl.im/Ukk82
  • 3 years ago

Tape Worm Removal

• Zhimbo
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

That would be wickedly awesome if true.

But it isn't. Tapeworms live in the intestines, not the esophagus, and can't eat a chunk of meat. Nor are they particularly mobile. They are primarily passive parasites, absorbing nutrition from the predigested food of the host.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No...in order to smell that the tapeworm would have to be in your mouth or throat. Most often they are found in your large intestine, which means they can only come out your bum. A doctor would give you a medication that would kill it and then it would come out when you have a bowel movement.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No tape worms usually enter the host as eggs and then attach themselves and grow in the intestines.

However some flesh eating larvae in the skin can be removed by attaching meat the the surface of the skin over the wound

• 1 decade ago

seems like a false memory since tapeworms live in the intestine and would not survive the trip through the hydrochloric acid environment in the stomach on the way to the esophagus.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sounds like quite the fairy tale. Tapeworms don't live in your esophagus.

• ABC
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

eww. Actually, I won't say this is an stupid question. I will say that..people in the past used to think that weird things would save people. THat is all..and that won't work. WILL NEVER WORK..ew

• 1 decade ago

Man your knowledge of anatomy is disturbing. You are SOOOO off that you make Paris Hilton seem like a brainiac!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.