Dog question?

My girlfriend has a mini dachsund. It lost a tooth tonight and she wants to know if it is a normal thing. The puppy is roughly 5 months old.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It is normal to lose teeth- just make sure when she's over a year old that it doesn't happen any more.

And your girlfriend needs to be careful about the health of the puppy since she got sold a runt of the litter- there are no such thing as "mini" or "teacup" versions of any dog. Breeders give the runts of the litter names like mini or teacup so that someone will think,"Hey, I'm getting a special dog!!" When it's just the breeder wanting to get rid of the runt since it won't be able to be shown in competition and usually runts have a difficult time keeping up good health.

Good luck.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

All normal, give him plenty of chew toys and chew treats to help with the process of getting rid of puppy teeth. I have a dachshund and he is a little over a year old and he still has a puppy tooth that hasn't came out and the vet said he will have to pull it for a nominal fee, joy, joy.

• 1 decade ago

yes her dog is losing it's baby teeth much like children do. during the first 6 -9 months it is normal. after a year old and it happens, take the dog to the vet.

Source(s): i have 3 dogs and this happened to my oldest who is now 11 years old.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

LOL. do we lose our teeth? shouldn't she know more with her new little pup? Anyways... just give her some soft stuff to chew on, sometimes they will fall out when playing with a toy. My pup lost hers at that age, hey say around 4-6 months they will, then her new teeth will come in, shouldn't be as sharp. have fun

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes its perfectly normal. Puppies, like babies lose their puppy teeth and get their adult teeth.

Most of the time, you won't even notice that they have lost teeth because they usually swallow them as they lose them.

• 1 decade ago

It is normal to lose puppy teeth. He will need something to chew on.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, it's perfectly normal he's just losing his puppy teeth

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's completely normal. They lose their baby teeth just like people do. Keep it, put it in a scrapbook.

• 1 decade ago

It is normal, but if she questions it call your vet, he is still young so make sure his puppy food is soft, and his chew toys are soft as well

• 1 decade ago

They are called milk teeth & yes it is normal to lose them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.