In Florida, is killing snakes illegal?

So, don't judge me, cause I like snakes. My parents and I just found a pygmy rattlesnake in our yard, and the wildlife people wouldn't come down to get it. We killed it, because we have pets and kids that run around this neighborhood. I don't know if snakes are considered pests or protected by some... show more So, don't judge me, cause I like snakes. My parents and I just found a pygmy rattlesnake in our yard, and the wildlife people wouldn't come down to get it. We killed it, because we have pets and kids that run around this neighborhood. I don't know if snakes are considered pests or protected by some kind of wildlife organization, so if someone could tell me if it's legal or not to kill a snake in FL, that'd be great.
Update: We called the police, they said they couldn't send anyone down and gave us a number to a wildlife conservation place. We called them, they were closed. Their recording gave us another number for dangerous animals, so we called that and the lady told us that they couldn't come and get it unless it was in our... show more We called the police, they said they couldn't send anyone down and gave us a number to a wildlife conservation place. We called them, they were closed. Their recording gave us another number for dangerous animals, so we called that and the lady told us that they couldn't come and get it unless it was in our house. Most idiotic thing I've ever heard.