My computer cannot open some sites. can anyone help me with this?

I cannot find any similar traits in the sites that cannot be opened. whenever i try to open these sites it gives messages like - "problem loading page" or "connection timed out". I use both IE and Firefox and have the flash and shockwave plugins installed. McAfee doesnt indicate any viruses... show more I cannot find any similar traits in the sites that cannot be opened.
whenever i try to open these sites it gives messages like - "problem loading page" or "connection timed out".
I use both IE and Firefox and have the flash and shockwave plugins installed.
McAfee doesnt indicate any viruses and i have checked for spywares and adwares ,deleted cookies and temp. internet files, dns flushed, settings checked etc.
Some of the sites which cannot be opened are hotmail.com (while there is no problem with msn,yahoo,aol); smashitsusa.com(a music site); mouthshut.com...etc.

pretty big problem it seems... formatting seems to be an option..but can you people suggest something less invasive??