Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

How do we know E.Coli isn't in other produce?

I apologize if this question has already been asked in this way, but we all know grocery stores sell many varieties of "bagged" produce. If this E.Coli thing happened to [bagged] spinach, how do we know if our bagged lettuce is okay? How do we know the iceberg lettuce is okay, or the cucumbers, or the other produce? What I'm reading is that E.Coli can't be "washed away" by thorough cleaning (that's disturbing), so how do we protect ourselves and our families from consuming tainted produce before it is too late? (See, I always knew it was healthier eating Twinkies!!! Kidding, kidding). Thanks, friends.

Best Answer

Large corporations are actually safer, (Del Monte, Campbell's, Money's Mushrooms, etc). Believe it or not, but organic produce is much more likely to contain E. Coli because they use horse and cattle manure in their fertilizer and don't use pesticides. Pesticides protect against insects and disease and are an insignificant factor in cancer and disease. Smoking, stress, junk food, obesity, insomnia, excessive workload, genetics, lack of exercise, caffeine, etc. are bigger factors.

We don't! As it turns out, the human eye just cannot detect bacteria by vision alone. So lots of things could be infected, but we wouldn't know until people start getting sick. And the spinach has E. coli and is making people sick so we know spinach is definitely infected. So if you eat a tomato ten minutes from now and get sick from E.coli only then will we know other produce is infected as well.

We don't! We have to wait till they trace this and find the location. They would then know if other vegs from the same location could also be infected. And the reason it doesn't help no matter how much you wash the spinich is that the e coli is in the infected soil....so it is actually grown right inside the spinich.

Not to sound overly suspicious, but wondering if terriorism could have played a part in this! It's not very difficult from different TV reports I have seen, for people to poison our food supplies. ......Just a thought!

• Duke

I think the other vegetable are harder, they washed them longer but spinach is so soft...they can't damaged them if they wash them too long, that what I think.

• ?

They will be able to answer that after they track the spinage down to where it originated from..

we don't know any of that...and i pray we find out soon or I'm just going to starve..