For Men: How to make a scruffy beard soft?

My boyfriend hates shaving, and his hair on his face grows very quickly. I really love the way he looks when his beard grows in (though i do make him shave the "my-first-mustache" stuble - ew!) so we've found a common ground here. He keeps it relatively short, so it's not *really* a beard. ... show more My boyfriend hates shaving, and his hair on his face grows very quickly. I really love the way he looks when his beard grows in (though i do make him shave the "my-first-mustache" stuble - ew!) so we've found a common ground here.

He keeps it relatively short, so it's not *really* a beard. One question: It bothers the heck out of him that its very rough. Anyway to make the hair coming in "soft", and avoid that itchy-scratchy feeling?

I've read that he needs to let it grow, and trim it instead, because the sharpness is caused by the rough edges of a sharp razor.

Any ideas on what to do and what products can be used to help?

Thanks!