Does anybody know of any product that can be used to prevent mold and mildew from forming on outdoor furniture

cushions? The cushion covers are of a removeable heavy weight cotton fabric over a foam type material covered in batting. The furniture is kept in a covered, screened in area which does get damp when it rains. I have removed the covers and have washed them with detergent and bleach but after a couple of weeks the mold and mildew return. I was wondering if there was a product out there that can be sprayed on like a scotch-guard type product which will prevent and/or protect the cushions from the mold and mildew?

Favorite Answer

I spray all of my outdoor cushions with DampRid Mold & Mildew Remover and Preventative. It not only kills the mold spores, but it puts down a resistant protective barrier which keeps it from growing again. I also hit both sides with scotchguard after I spray the DampRid just so that if people spill something on them it will bead up and not stain. My cushions are exposed to the weather from Memorial Day to Labor day rain or shine. I haven't had any problems with mold or mildew since I started using these two products. I get them in the cleaning aisle at Lowes and both are under $5

Yes, there are a number of products on the market that will do exactly as you say. (Put a preventative barrier on your fabrics in question.) Check out: muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/hesguide/housing/gh5928.htm this site can help you understand fully. Otherwise;

The problem lies in the moisture control and temperature of this environment. I recommend that you fully ventilate this room within each 24-48 hours to control this. Drying out is a must, and the warmer tempertures also aid in the growth of mildews. Keep ventilation in this room and that will be your best preventative. Prevention is the best cure. Remove the condition that breeds mildews and mold. Lack of air circulation and too much moisture. If this is not possible, I would remove the materialed items to a ventilated area when not in use.

Source(s): Patrice Reed-Halterman reed_patrice@yahoo.com

Not sure if it would be safe, but maybe like those shower sprays. I have a spray by Tilex that you spray all around your shower after you get out and it's supposed to protect from mold and mildew. Maybe there is another spray that is more gentle or maybe the tilex one would work if done lightly. Something also makes me want to say a vinegar/water mix misted on might prevent as well, but that's just an off the wall idea. Good Luck!

That can be very dangerous. Is there any way you can increase the air circulation and decrease the humidity in your apartment? You need to clean the mildew with either bleach or vinegar - both will kill it. If it is in the fabric of furniture you may need to move the furniture outside to clean it properly. Here is a helpful link. Best of luck with it.

• KAREN

HERE....

ALL KINDS OF CLEANING TIPS

CHECK THIS SITE!!!!!

http://cleaning.lifetips.com/faq/28539/0/how-do-i-...

U can also ask them all about cleaning tips!