Why won't the United States Postal Service deliver mail to businesses that don't have a mail receptacle?

And it seems random.

Our business doesn't have a mail receptacle and they bring the mail in.

In other states, California, Texas and Washington come to mind, they will not deliver stamped mail to the business address, they return the mail to me, and don't even tell me what P.O. Box to use.

And yet, junk mail will find its way to me no matter how it is addressed.

• MJ
    Favorite Answer

There is no randomness about it. Delivery is controlled by the domestic mail manual (DMM). Mail not being delivered to those other locations is based upon several factors including an outdated forwarding order, closed PO box, or the wishes of the client. BTW the best way to get a hold of those addresses is the use of the 'address correction requested' or similar endorsement.

Source(s): I'm a USPS Letter Carrier and moderator of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostalWorkers/

I once worked in San Francisco International airport as a Lead contractor with another company that has a contract with the Post office...those Postmen love to sleep (I should have taken videos of them - and this are the people getting paid $30.00 an hour or more)..they also love to leave your mail outside the rain during winter for weeks at a time