Jake asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

How fast is the average bicycle speed?

Im just wondering what is the average travel speed on a bicycle?

15 mph? 20mph? what do you guys think?

Favorite Answer

Other than depending on the person this also depends on type of bike and size/type of tires.

For mountain bikes with standard knobby, the average is 13-15mph. With semi-slicks/slicks, 15-18mph.

For road bikes, 18-22mph is pretty average. Although competitive riders can frequently maintain 30+

• Lv 6
      3 years agoReport

no I think the average speed is about 40 miles a second

• pelzer

Average Bike Speed

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/afFS2

The world speed record is about 82mph unassisted but that is with a special aerodynamic recumbent bike and athletic rider on the flat desert highway. It is a lot faster with drafting a car or train. In a velodrome or on an exercise bike it can also be faster. There are lots of different records (like fastest over 24hours) Try Guinness Book or the Human Powered Vehicle Association websites. That is the theoretical speed and some people are very fast. Average depends on your average context? Racing? Commuting? Flat city or hilly? 10-20km/hr is typical. There is a study of average speed in the city which includes stopping and starting and other realistic factors versus cars. Bike move favourably fast in a city. I don't remember those numbers. Also there was a study that factored in the price of the bike versus a car considering how much time you have to spend paying for it. On average the car was about 5km/hr and the bike about 8km/hr so 60% faster.

• William4 years agoReport

"Unassisted"... "the bike was aerodynamic" dude that's assistance. I'm not trying to start something.

The answer really depends on a lot of factors (e.g. bike type, terrain, rider fitness, & speed preference, etc.). I used to ride my 10 speed road bike in my neighborhood over a 3.3 mile course & the best I could do was ~22 mph (when I was much younger & in very athletic condition). I'd guess an average rider who rides for general exercise would probably ride at approximately half that speed (~11 mph) on the same type of bike. Bikes that are not designed for speed would most likely average a slightly lower speed.

hth!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How fast is the average bicycle speed?

15 mph? 20mph? what do you guys think?

Source(s): fast average bicycle speed: https://shortly.im/B8Ewq

Reading these answers, I feel pretty awesome.

I have a great bike, but it is a single speed. I live in a hilly part of St. Louis and I consistently make a ten mile ride to work with a backpack that has a change of clothes and shoes (I'm a bartender) in 30 minutes, sometimes 29. Never 28 and rarely higher than thirty. That's a 20 MPH pace on a single speed with no bike lane for most of it and having to stop at the occasional light. On a single speed. I weigh over 200 pounds.

That depends on many variables: 1 What sort of bike? 2 What terrain 3 Who is riding 4 How fast do they want 2 go?

I am 47 and I ride my mountain bike all over, my average speed I would guesstimate 2 be approx 16-18 mph

Thanque 4 your question & the points 4 my answer!

Timothy

:o)(o:

J

Road bike: 20mph+

Hybrid:15mph

Cheap Mountain: single digit mph

I ride 3 x a week approx 25 miles each time. I am 45 years old slim build and ride a full road spec racer.

I am at the beginning of my cycling (9 months in) and my best average over 25 miles is 17.5 MPH this includes head winds, tail winds, and quite a few hills up and down as i mostly do circuits to and from my home.

I'm 270 lbs., 53 y/o, ride 7 speed aluminum bicycle with 26 inch mountain bike tires here in North Carolina. At all these uphills from time to time have to walk and push the bike beside me to rest. The 12 miles route to my previous job took me about 1.5 hour every morning, and 1.5 hour back every evening.

Update: Right now I'm 245 lbs., 54 y/o and ride 50cc scooter, lol. NC doesn't require any registration or insurance if less or equal 50cc and can't go faster than 30 mph on flat terrain.