How does Halloween translate into the Devil's birthday?

I've heard this particular argument from all kinds of Christians, especially my grandmother who all say that Halloween is the Devil's birthday. Where did this superstition come from?

Favorite Answer

Wow, was she southern Baptist? Hehehehehe...

I didn't see any real answer here, you may have to chalk it up to just another christian scare tactic!

I have never heard of such a teaching. The holiday now known as "Halloween" is a cultural hold-over from 18th century England, and the religious observance of "All Saints Day", which falls on November 1. October 31 is actually the "Eve of All Saints' Day", or "All-Hallows Eve".

There were some other pagan influences, perhaps druidic in origin, that may account for the belief in the waking of the dead on this particular day. Many people believed that, on the eve of All Saint's Day, evil spirits would come out of the earth and try to possess, curse, or otherwise harrass "normal" people.

Chances are you can ask your grandmother for some reference material she bases her beliefs on, or just "google" it into your search engine.

I don't know about the devil's birthday, but I know that the Xians vilify Halloween because there's no other major Xian holiday they can assimilate it with,like they did with Easter and Christmas,so therefore,it's evil.

SInce the devil was born before there was an Earth or earthly calandar (according to the bible), you can't really define a birthday for him. So even by conservative religious standards, the claim that any day is the devil's birthday is pretty much fantasy.

Just Grandma's excuse for not handing out candy!

Halloween is sometimes associated with the occult. Many European cultural traditions hold that Halloween is one of the liminal times of the year when the spiritual world can make contact with the physical world and when magic is most potent (e.g. Catalan mythology about witches).

I think every one needs to do their research. Holloween is known as Samhien pronounced "Sow-in" Yes it is a pagan holiday and yes it is when the veil is the closest between the otherworld and our world. It marked the end of the celtic year(other cultures have their own traditions) The end of summer. the celts would where animal skins and preform rituals and celebrate the end of the year. All hallow's eve, all sain'ts day where christian remditions of samhien to convert pagans to christianity

• Cee T

Maybe September 11th is the devil's birthday.

I've only heard that it was made up by hallmark, and that it used to be a pagan holiday to scare away the evil spirits- thats why they dressed up.

Halloween is also associated with the flood of Noah and the Nephilim. The return of bad angels to heavan from Earth.

Halloween was originally a pagan holiday called All Hallows Eve. in which people were to dress as devils and demons to drive away evil spirits. Also it was used as a ritual time to sacrifice to pagan gods. I reckon that is why?

Well some people think that god gave the devil one day to have a holladay so thats where that comes from i think its all a bunch of junk. i love halloween good time to scare people!!