Why do white people move out of perfectly good suburban neighborhoods when a few minority families move in?

Okay, I don't want to sound ignorant or anything, but I noticed this, it wasn't immediately, but we moved in here 5 years ago and all our neighbors were cool, even though they weren't really social with us. A few months later 2 families on my street sold their homes, and moved. The families that moved in were hispanic and indian. Next, the people across from us moved, and a african american family moved in. Over the past 5 years, this street has become prodominately minority, the only caucasian people here are some elderly, and the family of a friend of mines. So why did this happen?

I can get people moving, its natural to life, but 15 families in 5 years, out of them, 6 families' homes were bought by minorities, the others that moved, sold their homes to other caucasians, who later moved and sold to someone else.

One more thing, I'm not saying that the neighborhood sucks now. on the contrary, we have a cultural festval/ block party every spring. We try out different food from asia, africa, the carribeans, and the middle east.

Favorite Answer

they are not basing their judgments on an actual experience. their comfort zone is with "just like me's" . no appreciation or regard for anyone outside their box. unable to see the character of someone who is not like them. misguided myths that people buy into limits exposure to anything or anyone that is different.

He didn't say 2 months, he said a few, which could mean anywahere in between 2 and 11 months. Read man. As for that, maybe they were racist, maybe they weren't, you cant be completely sure of the circumstances of them moving. One thing i will say, racism exists, unlike all these other people who rather blame you for being rascist than to examine their own race and think of the possibility of their moving away to be racially motivated, i won't. The same thing happened in new york city, before harlem and the bronx were predominately white, then minorities moved in and the whites moved out, now look at those areas. Of course all that happened 30-40 years ago, but history does repeat itself and i don't believe that people, especailly politicians are that much more tolerate than they were 40 years back. they may say they are, but how many black friend does president bush have?? how many black friends does governor arnold swartzinegger have? the same thing can be said for how many white republican friends does fifty cent have, or how many american friend does osama bin laden have? Everyone is racist, and that is also a factor in reality. I am a hispanic man, and when i wanted to buy a home, i said anything in the $250-700 k price range would do. what happened to me was that the agent showed me homes in areas where there were mostly minorities living, barely showed me neighborhoods with caucasians, and never showed me an all white neighborhood. then i asked my wife, who is white, to go alone, and they showed her nice houses in all white neighborhoods. Basically, it wasn't just the families that moved out, but also the realtors who moved people in.

They did not leave because of you. Since they left 2 months later it seems they already planned to move long before you came. You are paranoid and maybe racist yourself.

I have lived on my street for 8 years and well over 40 families have moved out since then. Did you growup in the country where no one moves?

For all you know it could have nothing to do with your skin color.

Growing up I moved more then 13 times! Some years were because my dad was in the Army, other times were for personal reasons. I'm sick of people making my race seem stuck up by assuming things

people assume that when "those" people start moving in that the area is going to crap. Happening more and more these days and people, for some reason, just don't like it. Could be also that their moving just happened to coincide with other people moving in/out or what have you but most of the time its simple prejudice.

not in my neighborhood. Unforntunetly you might live in a gang infested area. It has nothing to do with you but where you live.

Source(s): I've lived next to whites since 1993 when I was 9 and they were my friends. I dont know why in YOUR neighborhood they are moving out.

Prejudice.

cuz white is right....

cuz they're idiots and they wnat their neighborhood to look like a scene from desperate house wives.

Yeah, it happens unfortunately. They feel that the property value will go down and that there will be drugs and violence.

they think non white people r gonna make the neighborhood dangerous or sumthin.

Source(s): blaaaaah!