Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

the Black Madonna. What do the scratches upon her cheek signify?

It is my understanding that some consider this to be Mary Magdalene. Does the child represent the Christ? or her offspring? Have found several theories on the coloration from age of the paintings, soot from burning candles, to reference to African origin, but nothing on the scratches to her cheek. Any info is appreciated.

Favorite Answer

I've done a little research on the black madonna and her origins tracing back to goddess worship around different parts of the world. Is there a specific Madonna that you are talking about with scratches on her cheek? I haven't seen this yet and am now curious as well.

The Black Madonna of Chestochowa is said to have been painted by St Luke on a table-top made by Jesus himself. It's a portrait of Mary and the child Jesus. A protestant heretic struck the painting out of hatred of the mother of God upon which he fell to the ground immediately and expired.

She owns a pet cat.

the coming of our Savior, no.

an infection, no.

they mean absoulutely nothing.