CPU. what cpu is worth buying for bout £100?

want to upgrade my computer but dont no wot cpu to buy or from where?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Upgrading a CPU is a tricky business. You cant just get a CPU and put it in. Your mother board might take a type of CPU that is obsolete, and you'll have to buy a second hand one. If you change a CPU you might have to do other things like upgrade the power supply (for starters). A lot of the time a new CPU wont help much anyway. If you are just wanting to speed your PC up, i would suggest that you add more RAM, this is a lot less expensive,and easier to do.

If you go here.........

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

You can enter the make and model of your PC and it will tell you what RAM you need. It can also scan your PC and tell you how much RAM you have and how much you can add.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can get the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ for 100 pounds.

Its an excellent CPU for gaming.

It of course depends on ur motherboard, and what graphics card u have (u cant just get a bad graphics card and a good CPU), but i would get a Core 2 Duo now a days.

You can find the E6300 for 115 pounds and the E6400 for 150 pounds, but i would recomand the E6600 for 200 pounds wich u can overclock, thus making it even more powerfull then the most powerfull CPU on earth at stock freaquency. But u also need a 30$ aftermarket cooler for the CPU, because the stock cooler is very loud.

• John C
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

how much is that in american dollars and do you know what socket motherboard you have ,, that makes a big difference ... is it amd or intel you want,,, single or dual core go to www.newegg.com and see your options there you will have alot to choose from, also check out www.zipzoomfly.com or www.tigerdirect.com ,, not sure if all will deliver overseas or not you will have to check,, but you can get an idea of what you can get for the money!!!!!

• 1 decade ago

dell desktops come kinda cheap now try www.dell.com if u cant find any there cheap try www.circutcity.com (not sure is www.circutcity.com is spelled correctly but u know what i mean) but one thing do not buy a computer from radio shack because people have said they suck

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

l think you can get a Pentium D dual core for that. See www.pricewatch.com for prices and dealers

• 1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.